Honing recommendations ??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

View RJAngel's Photo Album My Photos
Honing recommendations ???

My PSI HSS Chisel Set (LCHSS8) just arrived.
They have sharpened edges, but, most likely not ready for use just yet.

I'm planning on picking up my lathe this weekend and was looking for advice and suggested tools for honing these to a fine edge.

I was leaning towards the oil or waterstone method, but, the more I looked the more questions I came up with, such as..

Is this set of 'Chris Pye Slipstones' a good idea or not? Is so, are they good for the outside edges of curved tools?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18595

I'm picking up my lathe at the local Rockler's and could ask them as well, but, I don't want to just use something just because that's what the sell / stock. There's are a Woodcraft store not to far.

I've been reading the Popular Mechanic's 'Lathe Fundamentals - Complete Guide' which seems pretty good, esp for a general overview. Any suggestions for a decent book of sharpening would also be appreciated.

FWIW, I do have a 6" grinder but need to replace the 30 & 60 grit wheels before using them for chisel sharpening purposes.

ThankX,
Ron

Last edited by RJAngel; 10-04-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2008, 10:21 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Ron,
Any new lathe chisels you buy with a few exceptions need to be sharpened before use. You can hone the edges with the thin diamond cards, slip stones, etc. Whatever you feel comfortable with. I like the diamond cards. You need to be able to sharpen all your tools on a continual basis. See the thread on the wolverine system if you haven't already. Pal up with somebody and concentrate on learning how to sharpen your tools even before you do a lot of turning. It will make the turning learning (new term I just made up) a lot easier. Good luck,
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I have had very good results using sheets of wet/dry abrasive paper taped onto a plate glass sheet. Start with perhaps 400 grit, and work your way up to 1200 or even higher grit. A honing guide is very handy. I usually use water as a lubricant, but have also used WD40, or any other light oil. Once you have your primary bevel cleaned up and smooth add about 1 0r 2 degrees to the angle of your honing guide and establish a "micro bevel" at the tip. If you don't allow your tools to get too dull, and touch them up regularly they are fairly easy to keep sharp.
The big advantage to using this method is that the sheets are fairly inexpensive, and can be readily replaced when they start to lose their edge.

Lee Valley tools carries a very good book on sharpening tools. I have found the one I bought to be a valuable resorce. I believe it is called "The Complete Guide To Sharpening". It is put out by Taunton Press, and I believe it is written by Leonard Lee.

Good luck with your sharpening.

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode