Home made thread chasers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Home made thread chasers

Well I had to stay home today so they could install my new HVAC unit so I made the best of it (please don't throw me in that there briar patch). I spent the day in the shop making chasing tools. I used a modified system similar to what Fred Holder described using a tap.
I took a nut of the appropriate size and cut a slot that fit the metal that I used to make the tools. Then I made a cut in the back of the nut to act as a sort of hinge.
I insert the steel into the nut so it sticks slightly deeper than the threads and clamp the whole thing in vise. Then I just run a tap down through the nut threading the steel. Itís a little hard to get started straight but once you make a couple of revolutions it cuts right down.
To improve the threads I took a triangular file and carefully matched the angle of the threads and took the same number of passes on each tooth down the middle to create a deeper and sharper tooth. I also filed off the outside partial tooth. Try not to change the angle of the tooth. I filed the 16TPI outside cutter at a slight angle accidentally. It cut as fast as a 10 tooth threader. I went back and filed the teeth almost perpendicular to the top surface and now it is very controllable. I polished the top side of the tools using diamond hones.
I made 2 tools. One using a 5/8 x 10 tap and one using a 7/16x16 tap. You canít use a small nut so instead of using a 1/4x20 tap use a 1/2x20 fine thread tap to get 20 TPI. I made these from some tool steel that I had. I think you could make these from old chisels by annealing the tip cutting the threads and then reharding and tempering. If you need to know how to do that just send me an e-mail and I can send you a document on heat treating. I havenít tried using a chisel yet but it should work. If I have time Iíll try it this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-and-16tpi-tools.jpg
Views:	6889
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	8013  

Click image for larger version

Name:	taping-threads.jpg
Views:	3899
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	8014  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
John, I'll tell you the ingenuity of some of you guys just blow me away. That is very cool and the pictures allow me to understand exactly what you were doing. Awesome! I saw the Tim Yoder show on turning threads just the other day. (Catching up on my dvr!) I looked at some thread turning tools at the local store and at around 80 bucks for the pair I not quite ready for them yet. I still need to work on just turning the lidded box. Anyway great job and thanks for sharing. given some spare time I may grab Dad's tap and die set and give that a shot.

John
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Soon to be Ol' Geezer

View Steve Clardy's Photo Album My Photos
Very neat

LN Anniversary Bronze Owner
LV Anniversary SS Edge PLane Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting. Any sources on using these?

Tim
post #5 of 5 Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Fred Holder's book on Screw threading is good. There are also several video's out there but I don't remember which ones I've watched.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode