Hollowers? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

View Nate Bos's Photo Album My Photos
Hollowers?

I am considering buying a hollowing tool. I have looked at a few and would love some imput. The Hunter carbide tools look like great tools but there is no near distributor and they are very expensive. The kelton hollowers also sound good. I can pick them up myself at the local Lee Valley and the cost of three unhandled tools is almost the same one goose nech tool from hunter. Is the carbide a good buy? do they last a long time? Or are resharpenable HHS tools a better deal? Are the Kelton tools sharpened easily enough or is it very difficult?
The hunter site says that the swan neck tool is only for finishing cuts and wasting is better done with other tools. Would it be good to get both or a waste of money?
Few! that was a lot of questions! All imput is appreciated!
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I have no experience with hollowing tools yet but based on the "darn you sorby" thread I believe I would really consider them. A company that stands behind thier product and has great customer service goes along way. I wish I could say that about my current chuck order!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I use David Ellsworth's hss tools more than any other. His bent tool is more forgiving for finishing cuts that swan neck tools I've used, but not as aggressive. I like the Easy carbide tools pretty well but only when working through a large opening. Their square shaft is more cumbersome to me if working with a small opening. Haven't tried the termite style tool. I haven't been at it long though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I use homemade versions of the John Jordan tools. Therefore I can highly recommend his. John has made his living using these tools and knows what they should look and feel like. The HSS tips are easily replaceable and easy to sharpen.
I am a Hunter tool fan and use them for lots of things but I still use John's tools for most hollowing.
http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com..._and_More.html
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I followed John Lucas's advise on the Jordan tools and I they are great. I just forgot to mention them in my earlier post. The large ones are awesome when you start reaching way out over the rest. I also left out the set of Benjamin's Best small hollowing tools I use on almost every hollow piece I do. They are great for just inside the opening or very small pieces. At $40 for 3 tools you can't go wrong. Just make sure the cheap handles stay secure!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a big fan of these guys

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Learning more about tools everyday
post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
I use homemade versions of the John Jordan tools. Therefore I can highly recommend his. John has made his living using these tools and knows what they should look and feel like. The HSS tips are easily replaceable and easy to sharpen.
I am a Hunter tool fan and use them for lots of things but I still use John's tools for most hollowing.
http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com..._and_More.html
How large of a vessel can the small 1/2 set do? Are these the only two I would need or should I also go with one more?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Any more thoughts?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM

You can go about 8" deep with a 1/2" tools before it starts to chatter a lot. As a new turner 6" deep is probably better. A more experienced turner can probably go to about 10" with 1/2" tool. If your patient and take really small cuts you can go a little deeper but it's a hassle.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
You can go about 8" deep with a 1/2" tools before it starts to chatter a lot. As a new turner 6" deep is probably better. A more experienced turner can probably go to about 10" with 1/2" tool. If your patient and take really small cuts you can go a little deeper but it's a hassle.
Ok thanks a lot! Oh also, is this company going to be around for a long time? I don't want to have any fly by night experiences.
Thanks!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM

John Jordan has been around for about 35 years and making tools for maybe 15 or more of those. He's near my age (60) and seems quite healthy and doesn't plan on slowing down soon.
The nice thing about John's tools is there's nothing to break and you can make your own cutters if you need to so even if he were to go out of business the tools will last forever. John uses standard 3/16 HSS metal lathe cutters that can be purchase anywhere. His cutters do have a round shank but it's fairly easy to grind that on a grinder if you want to make your own. In fact John will tell you how if you ask him. He's a great guy. Odds are pretty good if you call you will get his wife and she's really great to deal with as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
txpaulie (02-12-2012)
post #12 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks a lot for all the help and great advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode