Hickory? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

View Temo's Photo Album My Photos
Question Hickory?

Hey guys. I'm new to wood turning.
I'm a drummer and I want to make my own sticks.
I currently buy sticks that come from Mexico because they're not available here in the states. In mexico, they cost about 2-3 dollars to make. Here, they are sold for about 10 bucks a pair. Theyre about 3/4" thick and 16" long. They are made of a hardwood that I really don't know what it's called. I will post pics of them later on.

I started turning oak dowel rods ( purchased at home depot ). I pretty much got the hang of the lathe and tools for it. I made about 5 pairs of oak drum sticks but when it came to showtime, it felt as if the wood was too light. After a couple of songs, the sticks started chipping and to the point of almost braking.

I know that good sticks ( vic firth, pro mark, etc ) are made of hickory. I've searched for hickory dowel rods at home depot and lowes but they seem to just carry oak dowels. I've also checked online and can't find any places around my area that sell hickory rods. I saw some websites that sell hickory rods for kinda cheap, if bought in bulk, but i just need a couple not tons! Then again, the sellers are located in the eastern states. It will take forever to deliver the rods to me here in cali.

Does anyone know of any places around the area where I can find these dowel rods asap? Or does anyone have any rods that 3/4" or 7/8" and 17" or longer for sale?
The Following User Says Thank You to Temo For This Useful Post:
Rumpy (01-15-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Make your own blanks. Buy some dry hickory. Then rive it into square blanks. Riving is splitting the wood with a somewhat blunt tool. What this does make the wood split by following the grain. That way you have straight grain the full length of your blank.
You can also rive blanks from green wood. Leave it thick. Seal the ends with wax and wait about 3 months of so before turning. I know people say it takes 1 year per inch to dry but not around here. It won't be totally dry in 3 months but probably enough to turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
Temo (01-11-2012)
post #3 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
Make your own blanks. Buy some dry hickory. Then rive it into square blanks. Riving is splitting the wood with a somewhat blunt tool. What this does make the wood split by following the grain. That way you have straight grain the full length of your blank.
You can also rive blanks from green wood. Leave it thick. Seal the ends with wax and wait about 3 months of so before turning. I know people say it takes 1 year per inch to dry but not around here. It won't be totally dry in 3 months but probably enough to turn.
I'd buy hickory but I can't seem to find any where that sells hickory. The ppl at home depot didn't have an idea of what i was talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Where are you located, Temo? Hit up Yahoo.com and type hardwood lumber in the local section and see what it returns. Stay away from Lowes and HD. Or look for Woodcraft, Rockler, or some special woodworking store to find your drum stick blanks.

Make sure you post pics of the sticks when you're done! I've been meaning to make my drummer some and I just haven't gotten around to it.

Ut Prosim
post #5 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Or is there a more common wood as strong as hickory or stronger, that is easier to find than hickory?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade
Where are you located, Temo? Hit up Yahoo.com and type hardwood lumber in the local section and see what it returns. Stay away from Lowes and HD. Or look for Woodcraft, Rockler, or some special woodworking store to find your drum stick blanks.

Make sure you post pics of the sticks when you're done! I've been meaning to make my drummer some and I just haven't gotten around to it.
I'm in south los angeles, ca

Name:  drum-sticks-redux.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  31.7 KB
post #7 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM

View Jesse17's Photo Album My Photos
Hickory is fairly common. You probably won't find 'more common' wood that is as strong as hickory. And watch out when you get some. Take very light cuts on it as it is HARD and hard on tools.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I actually might be getting some pretty soon. If I do, I can mail you a few pieces.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I actually might be getting some pretty soon. If I do, I can mail you a few pieces.
Are you ordering from online or buying from a shop?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 AM
The New Guy

Buying from a lumber mill, assuming everything works out. The deal isn't done yet so I'm not 100% sure I'll have it, but so far things are looking that way.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I think Ash should be good also. Both Hickory and Ash are used for baseball bats.
1+ on what Taylormade said, look up hardwood lumber. If you have a Woodcraft or similar store locally give them a call and they will know who sell it. If there is enough business for a woodworking store there should be enough business for a lumber supplier.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #12 of 15 Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
One of the members here a while back was selling hickory blanks. Might be worth contacting him to see if there's any left.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f23/h...hipping-25468/
post #13 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM

View misfire's Photo Album My Photos
I bet persimmon would be good too
post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
The New Guy

Temo, sorry bud. The guy was out of hickory so I was unable to get any. He was out of a lot that he said he wasn't out of.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 AM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
I replied to your other post but I will reply again now that I know the rest of the story. I definately have lots of 17" and I hear they have a new flat rate USPS size out.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode