Helpppppp!!!!!!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
1 inch and 3 little marks

View crookedcut's Photo Album My Photos
Helpppppp!!!!!!!

ok i got problems.... why do my tools keep catching it dnt matter what i do they catch.... is the angle of the gring on the tips not rite from the factory???? i got good sharp tools im new to turning and this is wearing me out...

hold my beer and watch this!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like maybe wrong presentation of the tool.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 AM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
You could be trying to take off too much wood at a time. Slow and steady is best. You might just think the tools are sharp. Did you sharpen them, or are you trusting them to be sharp from the factory? You may have your tool rest at the wrong height. Is it where it should be for the tool you're using? You may not be using the bevel. Are you laying the bevel on the wood, then raising the handle till it starts to cut, or just jabbing the tool in there? Which tool are you using? A skew? A scraper? A spindle gouge? What kind of wood are you turning? Are you turning at the right speed? Is the wood round, or are you still working on knocking the corners off and getting it trued up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Itchytoe For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (04-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:04 AM
No Longer Here

Every tool has a different way to present it to cut properly. Start with more detail questions as in type of wood, type tool what cut you are trying to perform and maybe someone will offer a solution.

John Lucas has some good video's and they have a lot of other talented turners here that will help.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
You could be trying to take off too much wood at a time. Slow and steady is best. You might just think the tools are sharp. Did you sharpen them, or are you trusting them to be sharp from the factory? You may have your tool rest at the wrong height. Is it where it should be for the tool you're using? You may not be using the bevel. Are you laying the bevel on the wood, then raising the handle till it starts to cut, or just jabbing the tool in there? Which tool are you using? A skew? A scraper? A spindle gouge? What kind of wood are you turning? Are you turning at the right speed? Is the wood round, or are you still working on knocking the corners off and getting it trued up?

Thanks Itchytoe just as I was trying to say so many questions that had to be answered first. I think you got all of them asked if not you tried.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 AM

View cabomhn's Photo Album My Photos
How about you show us a picture of exactly how you would have your tool position and set up for a cut. A picture will do a lot of good. Or, better yet, a video of your turning during a catch so we can see what angle you are going at. Visual stuff I think will make it easier to answer your question a lot faster.

- Matt
post #7 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

dried mesquite.. i have made it round but using the roughing gouge it still would catch i think that it is a presentation problem.. and dnt have any idea about what is the correct higth for tool rest... and i have sharpend my tools my self and know they are sharp with the factory bevel and angles

post #8 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

an maybe im trying to run befor i walk but i started rite off trying to make a bowl... i made sum squar stuff round first but skipped all the simple pratice stuff

post #9 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

i will try to get a video tomorrow... so everyone can laugh at me ....

post #10 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedcut View Post
an maybe im trying to run befor i walk but i started rite off trying to make a bowl... i made sum squar stuff round first but skipped all the simple pratice stuff
I wouldn't try a bowl without a bowl gouge. You have many more forces to deal with and changing grains when cutting bowls. A bowl gouge besides having a more heavy duty construction also has a different bevel and it continues around on both sides in most cases.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I would do at least some practice with spindle tools before going to a bowl.
Here is a very good video on the spindle roughing gouge. DON'T use this particular gouge for bowls. John Lucas (john60lucas) has several very good videos in addition to this one.
It get a little advanced so you will probably want to start with the first few cuts.

As others said, each tool has it's own presentation.
Did you buy a set of turning tools? If so which particular set? Many "sets" do not come with a bowl gouge.

There are a lot of very good youtube videos, there are also a lot of very horrible ones. Ones by john60lucas and bobham5 (Bob Hamilton) will give proper methods. They may also differ slightly as tools may be used in a different manner and still used properly. You will have at least one proper way.
No one is laughing because we have all been there (and I still am).
In general, the tool rest is typicall between 1/4" above or 1/4" below center depending on the tool and the cut.

You can start turning bowls but due to the diameter (safety) you need to know how using the bevel works in general first.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by NCPaladin; 04-14-2012 at 06:46 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

oi figured out one of my problems is im not using a bowl gouge i have been useing a spindle gouge... now i know the diff... thanks john lucas

post #13 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I still haven't had time to do a bowl gouge video on turning bowls. I need to do that. It's just late in the school year and we are so busy I'm exhausted by the time I get home.
I find a lot of the less expensive non name brand tools are not ground very user friendly. I have been thinking about picking up a cheap set and then doing a video on reshaping and grinding the tools into more user friendly angles and grinds. Maybe next time a new turners comes over to the shop with his tools I can do that using their tools.
Just as a general rule a bowl gouge is better than a spindle gouge and rough out gouge for turning a bowl. That doesn't mean you won't get a catch, you can still present it wrong. However you are less likely to get a catch with a bowl gouge when turning a bowl than if you use a spindle our rough out gouge.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

i did buy a cheeper set of tools.. i got them from harbor frieght they was like 60 bucks for the set they r hss tho... they the best they had.. it was all i could find at the time

post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Dean

View Dean Miller's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Dean Miller
Wood turning is difficult to explain in words. Best is to watch an experienced turner via mentor or Vidio. Trial and error will eventually get you there but can be dangerous and frustrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Miller For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (04-15-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode