Helping a newbie save a blank - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
Helping a newbie save a blank

I am trying to make a shaving mug. Similar to this one.

http://www.woodturningdesign.com/onl...gnbrushset.pdf

I have a nice piece of Cocobolo that I will use for the finish mug. I wanted to do a practice run before I risk some expensive wood. I had made a razor and brush from Becote. I have a 12 inch 2 X 2 blank. I jointed two sides of the blank then cut 3 " pieces and clued it up to get a 4 X 4 blank.

First part of the problem, I nicked the corner of one of the pieces. Of course that piece needed to be in the center of the four piece glue up as it was one of the jointed sides.

My first problem is this. I have two bottle stopper chucks and the screw chuck that came with my Talon chuck. They all want me to drill a 23/64 hole to thread the bottle stopper or screw chuck into. When I do that, I get a very loose fit. I have taken to drilling a 21/64" hole for stoppers and tapping the hole. I get a better fit. Anyway, When I drilled the blank, due to the chip the bit drifted and I got an elongated hole that nothing would fit in. I drilled the blank to 3/4 with a forstner bit and press fit a piece of 3/4 inch dowel and some glue. That all worked pretty well while I rounded the blank and faced the end. As soon as I try to gouge out the bottom to make the recess for the expanding jaw chuck to hold the mug while I finish it the dowel splits and the blank pops off.

I think the blank is toast and I am stuck experimenting on my cocobolo. My wife has a soap show tomorrow and I promised her shaving mugs to show off her shaving soap. I also would like a matching mug for the razor and brush.

Three questions:

1) Does anyone have an idea to save the Becote blank?

2) Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I am doing wrong mounting screw chucks?

3) Can I hollow out the bottom of the mug to make a recess for the chuck jaws, or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

Andy

Thank You

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Get a steb center that mounts in your chuck and give up screw chucking (for mugs, bowls, etc anyway). Pics of the problem would help. You could make a jam chuck or glue to a waste block to save it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
Adillo303 (11-11-2011)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
1) Does anyone have an idea to save the Becote blank?
If I understand you correctly, the piece of dowel was stuck into what will become the waste as you hollow the mug. Unless you are turning the mug on end-grain, your glue joint is long-grain to end-grain.

It might be worth cutting a square mortise, maybe 1/2" short of where you intend the bottom of the inside of the mug to be, and fitting a square piece of wood (instead of a round dowel) into the hole, it will have greater mechanical strength.

If you leave it proud of the blank, you could grab onto this with chuck jaws instead of using a screw-chuck. Then turn either a tenon (spigot) or recess on the other end as you were planning to do.

I've always used tenons I can clamp the jaws onto rather than a recess into which the jaws expand, so I am a bit biased -- but if there is any danger that the blank will explode into the 4 original pieces of becote, I'd be inclined not to test the strength of the glue!

HTH

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
The Following User Says Thank You to duncsuss For This Useful Post:
Adillo303 (11-11-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 11:29 AM

View Turn-Ed's Photo Album My Photos
When you are working on hollowing out the bottom recess, what tool are you using?

One way would be to use a round nose scraper, start from the center and work out to the edge (coming toward yourself). When you start this "cut", you are actually applying pressure toward the headstock, which ought to help your "holding screw"--you're pressing on it. As you make the cuts coming toward you, don't remove much material and be certain your tool is sharp. A "catch" will result in the piece trying to fly off.

One other observation: Now that you have the outside "sized"---could you hold it with your chuck's jaws? (Grip from the outside of the circle? This would be more secure)

Good luck, hope this helps!
Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Turn-Ed For This Useful Post:
Adillo303 (11-11-2011)
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

I was just starting. I turned it round with no problem. I flattened out the face and that went OK (Skew Chisel and pen gouge). I was starting to hollow out the recess on the bottom. I started with a bowl gouge and that is when everything popped. I tried making light cuts. It seems that every time I try to use the bowl gouge it wants to catch. I am doing something wrong there. I have had good success with the bowl scrapers. The round nose scraper works fairly fast. If anyone has a suggestion what I am doing wrong with the bowl scrapers, I would appreciate it.

I like the idea of the square tenon or the glue on a piece.

Anyway, the wife's show is tomorrow, I am going to try the cocobolo.

Thank You

Andy
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Here is my first ever Shaving mug. It is not finished, just sanded.

I still have some cleanup to do inside.

I think that I can make the show. I have to finish this and make a razor and a brush.

Thank You

Andy

Last edited by Adillo303; 11-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode