Help with sharpening tools. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Help with sharpening tools.

What is the best wheel for my grinder for sharpening my Lathe cutting tools? I was told the white stone and that it cost like $50 but the one Rockler has is white Aluminum oxide and $20 so I wasn't sure.

What about sharpening jigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
"White" is kind of a generic answer. What you want is a friable aluminum oxide wheel in either 80 or 120 grit. Some are blue, some are white, pink, etc.

You will definitely get what you pay for. The $20 white ones will do the job but a $50 Norton 3X (blue) will do the job much better and will probably be better balanced out of the box. It'll last a lot longer too.

As far as grinder jigs, the OneWay Mfg. Wolverine is pretty much the benchmark. It is a great system and really isn't all that expensive. PSI makes a slightly cheaper version. I've seen people make similar jigs out of wood or metal, and then use shop made jigs that mimic the Wolverine's vari-grind jig. Not my thing but it can be done successfully.

Don't worry about the speed of your grinder. Some people will say you need a slow speed grinder, which you do not. Faster grinders just remove more metal, that's all. You cannot ruin the temper of HSS tools on a grinder despite the occasional person that insists that you can.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
If you are buying on-line shop for bargains and lowest shipping. If can walk into a store $20 not a bad price also look into getting diamond dressor too.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Grinding-Wheels-C20.aspx?UserID=18097414&SessionID=GsoCBkdZgYQs1z8 08SaJ

http://www.hartvilletool.com/category/1725

I am using Norton 3x blue 46 & 80 grit blue wheels, they are harder than Norton white wheels. I have also use white, and pink wheels made by Camel CGW and Pacific too. Think had some K wheels made by both CGW and Pacific too.

46-grit is a medium wheel great for changing bevel angle or repairing damaged tool edge. 80-to150 grit considered fine grit and great for touching up(sharpening) an edge.

I like and been using Wolverine with vari grind jig system, shop around for best price.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Catego ry_Code=sharp-wss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the Wolverine Jig. +1 on the Norton Wheels. Also check out the Raptor set-up tools available from Craft Supplies USA.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode