Hello All - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

View Dave Pannell's Photo Album My Photos
Hello All

Just wanted to introduce myself and my work. I just stumbled across this forum the other day. It seems pretty active here! Anyways, here's some pics of my turnings, if they can be called turnings anymore, lol.

The tall hollow form, is American Elm, and I've just started working on it.

Then there's the Ash "turnip" shaped thing

And the Pecan "clawfoot"

And lastly the Tulip Poplar vase

I do some more normal turnings as well, like bowls and rolling pins and other hollow forms without legs. I'm looking forward to meeting you folks! Hope you enjoy the weird bowls, haha.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46694_1584908940252_1161611872_31644447_5061206_n.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	20022  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pecan Clawfoot Bowl.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	20023  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
pope of chilitown

View timmybgood's Photo Album My Photos
wow those are amazing, top notch!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

View mike s's Photo Album My Photos
holy crap their cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

haha, thanks guys! i have a weird imagination Just now finished turning the lid for the elm piece. Once i get it carved, i'll post a pic or two. It'll be weeks away though. It's sloooowww work.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work Dave, Thanks for sharing.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Very Nice work. Have you been to the AAW site. People would like to see work like this on that site. I can't remember if you have to be a member to put work in the gallery but it's worth joining.
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/index.php
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I just now joined, so I guess if anyone from here lurks around there, you'll see my same post soon, haha. I've wondered if joining the AAW would actually help me get a foot in the door in some galleries. Maybe someone there will know, thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool. You've gotta give us at least a clue how you make something like those. How much of it is done on the lathe and in what order?
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Dave Just joining won't get you in galleries but there are so many knowledgeable people there who are willing to help. Just ask. Even better go to one of the symposiums and bring work like you have. The gallery people come to these events.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool, talking about thinking outside the box, Dave you done it, Welcome to the forum.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #11 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

sorry, but it's a trade secret! lol, not really. All i do, when i'm making a hollow form, let's take the tall elm one for instance. I mount it between centers, and rough out the shape. I go ahead and try and design it in 3rds, cause it looks better imo. So the top third, is the actual hollow form itself. I have to have a good idea what it's going to look like first. I then apply myself to the bottom 2/3, or, the leg portion. You can see in the pic, that i figured out where the top of the legs would be, and how i wanted them to curve inward and then flare back out towards the bottom.

Now that the leg area is rough turned, i then turn a tenon on the top of the hollow form, for my chuck to grab.(before turning the "orb") I then remove the tailstock from the lathe, and set up my steady rest. I mount the piece in the chuck, and mount the steady rest right at the bottom of the feet. Then I hollow out the leg area, while trying not to go too deep, or make it too thin or thick, and still keep to the curvature of the outside.

Once that is done, i turn the piece around, mount the bottom end in the chuck, and use the tailstock for the top. I then turn the outside of the hollow form part to whatever looks good (i hope). Then i remove the tailstock again, and install the steady rest around the hollow form, and begin to hollow it out.

After that? It's tough as nails. I draw my design as well as i can on the piece, and use whatever tools i can force to work, to cut out as much waste wood as i can. Then it's all chisels and dremels and die grinders and exacto knives, and many many hours of hand sanding. Did i mention hand sanding? Oh yeah, u must use sandpaper, for a long long time. (but it's a gr8 opportunity for me to sit back by the wood stove, and watch some documentaries out in the shop on the computer)

When i first started turning, i got tired of sanding regular bowls, lol. Now, when I turn a big salad bowl, and it's done in a couple of hours, i'm thinking "Already done? that was easy!" I've got about 15 hours at least in the elm piece. Probably more. It's so hard to carve!

Hope this answers your question.

With the smaller stuff, that don't have the center in it, like the clawfoot bowl, i merely made the chuck hole deeper, so that i would have wood enough for some type of legs.

It's a different way of looking at turning, for sure. You have to be able to envision a shape, and leave yourself enough wood to make it happen. Then stay committed, when your hands hurt, and your dremel is belching smoke, the die grinder is too hot to touch, etc haha. Good luck to anyone willing to try it, i look forward to seeing new pieces!

PS: I'm about to start a video series, this week, on youtube, of one of my creations, from start to finish. I'll let you folks know when i upload.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

I met an older fellow about 7 years ago, and he was a turner, and carver. He's now my best friend and mentor. I felt like i should show his latest work, it's taken a year, and it's still not done. But the main body is tulip poplar, the lid is sycamore and walnut. The wheels are sycamore, black walnut, w/cherry hubcaps, lol. This guy is amazing. The pic is crap, with my camera phone. I do have some hi-res images of certain parts of this, if you all want to see.(let me know and i'll post them here) Even more incredible in detail. But the other pics were taken before the wheels were finished.

And yes, it's absurd. I agree, and so does he. But it's grand anyway, i think!
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
That is some beautiful works and I really like your imagination. Please post more and keep us up to date on that you tube video. That'll be a must see on my list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode