Hate setting up the lathe. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Hate setting up the lathe.

I see these You tube videos where the operator changes from rough turning with a spur center, then to turning the piece with a chuck, then boring the end with a drill. Then he has to turn another piece and has to switch everything around another two times. I like to turn wood, not switch chucks and centers all day. So recently, I turned 8 incense burners. They have a small flat base with a raised center and a metal closet pull inserted for fire resistance when the incense burns down. The other piece has a hollow body and the outside is turned to look like a snowman, mushroom or some other shape. The base I can cut a close circle on the scroll saw and then mount in the cole jaws to flatten the face, cut the outside down, leaving a raised center and then drill a 3/4 inch hole for the closet pull to be inserted. Then I switch to the other lathe and mount the piece on a second chuck and turn the circumference edge true and sand while it is on the chuck. Apply the finish to the upper side and edges. and go back to the first lathe and mount in the cole jaws again, to sand and apply finish to the bottom side.

The upper piece, for instance if it is a mushroom, I turn the rough piece round between a spur drive and live center on one lathe, then take the piece to the second lathe, mount it in the chuck and using a forstner bit and drill chuck in the tail stock, bore out the body of the mushroom, about three quarters of the length of the body. Then I flip the piece end for end and mount the piece to the hole in the base that I just drilled. I turn the mushroom shape, drill a hole in the top for smoke to escape and then sand and finish. Each of the two pieces requires operations that would involve switching chucks and drives on one lathe. By keeping two lathes, I can switch from lathe to lathe without needing to bother changing a chuck with cole jaws for a for another chuck or for a spur drive. Seems to be working so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 PM

View Bob Vaughan's Photo Album My Photos
In industry that's called a "second operation machine". Its a very efficient way to do short runs of an item that requires a lot of fool around.
I keep mine set up with a vacuum chuck but occasionally use it for other detailing operations. Very handy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode