Hardwood sanding tricks on a lathe?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

View brad2010's Photo Album My Photos
Hardwood sanding tricks on a lathe??

i keep getting ''scratches'' that are a pain and time consuming to get out, any tips or tricks? i only make nightsticks on my lathe so that is what im referring to

basically what i do is start with 50 grit on the shaft... 80 on the grip then work my way up as high as i need to but sometimes i have scratches left over from the initial 50/80 grit phase

i use belt sand paper cut so i can slide in under the piece then i stand above it and slide it up and down the length .... for the detail cuts and grooves i use sponges of various grits

am i just being impatient and stop using the 50 grit all together??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:20 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Do you stop the lathe and sand along the length of the stick before moving on to the next grit?

For example, using 50 grit the way you describe, when you're done with that stop the lathe. Then use the 50 grit lengthwise (slowly rotating the lathe by hand while rubbing up & down the stick), aiming to eliminate all the scratches that encircle the stick. Now move up to the next higher grit, and repeat the procedure.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
On very hard wood, I skip the 50 grit because of the same problem.

duncsuss's suggestion is also a good one.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
Do you stop the lathe and sand along the length of the stick before moving on to the next grit?

nope......i keep the lathe on the entire time at the same speed (fast as it can go)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:35 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2010 View Post
nope......i keep the lathe on the entire time at the same speed (fast as it can go)
Try my suggestion -- I don't claim any credit for the idea, it was taught to me when I took a pen-turning class. It also appears in the book on pen-turning by Barry Gross, and probably many more ... in other words, I think it's "standard operating procedure".

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #6 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=duncsuss;172668]Try my suggestion QUOTE]

yup i plan on it ....... thanks for the tip, i appreciate it
post #7 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Brad,
Try slowing the lathe to around 1000rpms. Try starting with 150. If you are getting any kind of decent cut on the hard woods you are using, you shouldn't need 50 or 80. Starting with 150, go back and forth across the piece with light pressure, until you have a uniform look. You shouldn't have any deep scratches that stan out from the rest. Then move up to 240 and do the same thing. Continue to 320 then 400. Each step the wood should appear smoother. If you move up a couple of grits and you notice any deeper seated scratches, then you have to back up and go back a grit till you get rid of them. When you are done with the 400, take an old white tube sock that is clean and run it up and down the piece while turning with moderate pressure to kind of burnish the piece. Then proceed with your finish.
One other thing, change out your sandpaper frequently. It gets dull quick.
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Brad,
Try slowing the lathe to around 1000rpms. Try starting with 150. If you are getting any kind of decent cut on the hard woods you are using, you shouldn't need 50 or 80. Starting with 150, go back and forth across the piece with light pressure, until you have a uniform look. You shouldn't have any deep scratches that stan out from the rest. Then move up to 240 and do the same thing. Continue to 320 then 400. Each step the wood should appear smoother. If you move up a couple of grits and you notice any deeper seated scratches, then you have to back up and go back a grit till you get rid of them. When you are done with the 400, take an old white tube sock that is clean and run it up and down the piece while turning with moderate pressure to kind of burnish the piece. Then proceed with your finish.
One other thing, change out your sandpaper frequently. It gets dull quick.
Mike Hawkins
If your turning tools are sharp you could start sanding with a much higher grit then you are using. I make pens out of different hard & exotic woods & rarely use less then 600 grit.
Be careful with that tube sock & don't wrap it around your hand. Could get cought & pull you in (seen it happen). Personally I would skip using the sock. Use some 0000 steelwool instead.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
For burnishing, I prefer a thick handful of small shavings (but don't get any big pieces; they could mar the surface)

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with some of the other statements. If your tools are sharp, your on the bevel and not forcing the cut, and cutting down hill with the grain you should be able to start much finer than 50.
If you do here is what I do. If it's spindle turning stop between each grit and sand with the grain. It should only take a second.
Slow the lathe down and move the sandpaper constantly and quickly. If you hold it still it makes circular lines. Don't use a lot of pressure. I might start out with pressure but before I'm done with that grit I sand very lightly and quickly. Then sand with the grain.
Blow is off or wipe it off with a rag between each grit. If you don't you can grind 50 grit scratches into the wood with the 80 grit stuff. If you continue to have problems wipe it with Naptha between grits.
I would highly recommend trying different paper. Norton 3X will stop many of your problems if you follow what I wrote above. It is great paper and stays sharp longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode