Grrrr! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Angry Grrrr!

Trying to make more bottle stoppers and my drill chuck keeps coming out of the headstock spindle.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping that sucker in there?

The drive center works fine for rounding blanks, I have to coax it out. The drill chuck just won't stay in. I don't want to whack it with a hammer, I'm afraid I'll screw up the bearings in the headstock.

They're all #2 MT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM

View Gordon Seto's Photo Album My Photos
Drawbar.
http://littlemachineshop.com/2034,2224,1873,1637,3019

Does your Morse Taper drill chuck has threads (most likely 1/4" X 20 tpi) at the end? You can also make up a draw bar from all threads to pass through the hollow of the spindle and use a washer and bolt to hold the chuck against the handwheel.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the suggestion, Gordon.

My drill chuck is not threaded. It came with a shaft that I had to jam into the chuck itself, and the other end of the shaft is the #2 MT. Much like this one.

I'm not sure it's got a threaded hole for something like a drawbar. I'm also not sure that my lathe will accommodate one, either. Not in the headstock, anyhow.

My main problem was being in a hurry! I didn't want the extra steps involved in removing the dimple from the live center in the tailstock. However, those few extra steps really saved me a lot of trouble by stabilizing the workpiece in the first place.

As a side benefit, if I use the tailstock when I shape the piece, when I'm ready to pull the tailstock away to finish the end, it turns out the drill chuck stays in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dano,
Will your drill chuck mount in your chuck? If not, use your live tailcenter but turn a little cap to fit over the point so you can use the tailstock to maintain some pressure on your piece to hold it in, but this way you won't leave a mark. I use to give my drill chuck a tap with a rubber mallet. That would keep it in place most of the time. The thing that makes them come out is when you take a cut from left to right. It tends to want to pull on the chuck. Tailcenter is probably your only sure bet. When you get just about all done, you can pull back the tailcenter and just finish sanding the end. It should stay in place while you are doing this. You could also put a piece of duct tape around the drill chuck and headstock taper to help keep it in place.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode