Grizzly lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly lathe

I'm thinking about buying this lathe from Grizzly

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood...-Readout/G0462

Anyone have one, or used one? Is it a good machine?

It's right in my price range. Unknown it won't be good for turning bowls but I thought it may be good as a starter lathe. I have zero turning experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 05:02 PM

View Woodychips's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a good starter. Just make sure that it's bolted to the floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodychips For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-15-2015)
post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 05:52 PM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
I'm thinking about buying this lathe from Grizzly

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood...-Readout/G0462

Anyone have one, or used one? Is it a good machine?

It's right in my price range. Unknown it won't be good for turning bowls but I thought it may be good as a starter lathe. I have zero turning experience
Definitely NOT a good lathe, especially not for bowl turning. The motor is definitely not 2 HP despite their claim. Most likely, based on the voltage and current, it is a one horsepower motor. If it were a premium motor with high efficiency (not a realistic assumption based on price) then it might be 1.25 HP. It has a very cheaply made Reeves pulley drive (variable spacing pulleys). The pulleys have a short MTBF (mean time between failures). The minimum speed is too fast for bowl turning. The lathe is very light duty, but would be OK for occasional spindle turning use like chair and table legs, tool handles, peppermills, pens, bottle stoppers, Christmas ornaments, and the like. The motor is able to handle bowl turning, but the Reeves pulleys are too light duty (because they are made of die cast zinc) to hold up to continuous bowl turning duty. Also the minimum speed is too high if you have out-of-balance pieces of wood.

I would recommend looking at the Delta and Jet midi lathes instead.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Boehme For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 06:51 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Rikon 70-220 and it is nice :) I passed on the Grizzly's because of the speed
The Following User Says Thank You to mengtian For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-15-2015)
post #5 of 13 Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 AM

View saculnhoj's Photo Album My Photos
The cantelever tool rest on that lathe is an accident waiting to happen. It breaks way to easy and sets up a lot of vibration making it difficult to get a clean cut. I would look at one of their other lathes. That particular one is not that great. For just a little more money you can get a Delta midi or even the GRizzly midi. Most people don't turn long spindles and you get a much better quality lathe for about the same money.
The Following User Says Thank You to saculnhoj For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-16-2015)
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm on the fence between the Rikon and the Delta.

In the mean time, I have this AMT lathe that I was given (free is good!) that wasn't working properly. Turns out it had a stuck reeves drive pulley that I was able to free up with a little WD-40 and gentle persuasion. So now it's functional again ?

Should hold me over until I can spend the 6-700 bucks for a shiny new higher-quality lathe, and at least I can get started turning until then.

The piece of walnut on there now is (hopefully) going to be a ravioli making rolling pin, (like this one:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/pro...%5E49385483023 )
as long as I don't destroy it first lol. Should have time to finish it this weekend! I can definitely see how turning is addictive. It totally appeals to the want for instant gratification lol
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
6-700 hundred dollars won't buy a new lathe that is much better. I would recommend increasing the budget to about 1,000 and looking used. If you factor in the value of the extra tools that came with it, I have around $ 1,000 in my made in USA Powermatic 3520.

Last edited by hwebb99; 11-20-2015 at 12:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwebb99 For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-20-2015)
post #8 of 13 Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 PM
Yay! Finally on Facebook

View thenodemaster's Photo Album My Photos
I spent just over $3000 on my G0694 Grizzly when I moved up from a Harbor Freight lathe and can vouch for spending the extra money for the quality. I found that 220V and 2HP is more realistic and true than the 110V "2HP" frankenlathe I built out of it. $1000-$1500 is a decent budget. If you can, the Grizzly G0766 is a good one, I have heard (3HP 220V). I splurged at the boss' urging on the G0694 because I wanted the extra dead weight and have not regretted it. Just got a 17" band saw from Grizzly, too, and love the quality of their machines. Get what you can afford, but, if you can resist the urge to spend now and save a bit for better equipment, it works out much better in the long run.

Dachshunds and pneumatic nailers do not mix. Whiskey. Tango. FOXTROT!
The Following User Says Thank You to thenodemaster For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-20-2015)
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 AM

View saculnhoj's Photo Album My Photos
One thing to look out for on Grizzly lathes is the tool post on some is an odd size. I don't know how you tell because it doesn't give the tool post size in any of their literature. We had a discussion about Grizzly lathes at a club meeting I just demonstrated at and one guy brought that up. I believe he said it was 25mm instead of 1" like most full size lathes have.
The Following User Says Thank You to saculnhoj For This Useful Post:
BZawat (11-20-2015)
post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodemaster View Post
I spent just over $3000 on my G0694 Grizzly when I moved up from a Harbor Freight lathe and can vouch for spending the extra money for the quality. I found that 220V and 2HP is more realistic and true than the 110V "2HP" frankenlathe I built out of it. $1000-$1500 is a decent budget. If you can, the Grizzly G0766 is a good one, I have heard (3HP 220V). I splurged at the boss' urging on the G0694 because I wanted the extra dead weight and have not regretted it. Just got a 17" band saw from Grizzly, too, and love the quality of their machines. Get what you can afford, but, if you can resist the urge to spend now and save a bit for better equipment, it works out much better in the long run.
I have the 0513X2 bandsaw as well, and i absolutely love it. Ive come across a few G1495's on craigslist in the 550-700 range, and may yet pull the trigger on one. Just didnt want to have to deal with going and picking it up, as they are all a 2+ hour drive from me. At this point I cant justify spending more than 700 bucks on a lathe. Especially since I primarily make furniture & cabinetry, and I need a new jointer.
My only concern with the 1495 is that at 3/4hp it seems a bit underpowered for such a large lathe.

edit: Also, it has a Reeves drive, which I'd definitely like to stay away from after having to monkey with this one to get it working.

Last edited by BZawat; 11-20-2015 at 08:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
thenodemaster (11-20-2015)
post #11 of 13 Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I would keep turning on your current lathe, and buy a jointer first. Then save up for a better lathe. A G1495 is only a marginal improvement from your current lathe. If you are not happy with your current lathe, then you probably won't be happy with a G 1495.

Last edited by hwebb99; 11-20-2015 at 10:28 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Yay! Finally on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by saculnhoj View Post
One thing to look out for on Grizzly lathes is the tool post on some is an odd size. I don't know how you tell because it doesn't give the tool post size in any of their literature. We had a discussion about Grizzly lathes at a club meeting I just demonstrated at and one guy brought that up. I believe he said it was 25mm instead of 1" like most full size lathes have.

Yeah, have to say the odd size tool post ( 1 1/4") is a bit of a headache. But I have been able to make adapters for it easily enough as well as found that Robust will custom make they post on their rests for a decent price.

post #13 of 13 Old 11-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Yay! Finally on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
My only concern with the 1495 is that at 3/4hp it seems a bit underpowered for such a large lathe.

edit: Also, it has a Reeves drive, which I'd definitely like to stay away from after having to monkey with this one to get it working.
Agreed. My HF lathe had a "3/4 HP" motor and it was severely under powered. I McGuvered a "2HP" dust collector motor from their parts dept. without much trouble and it made up for the lack of original power. But the lack of dead weight made the lathe want to walk while roughing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode