Grizzly Dust Collector - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

View tcarter76's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly Dust Collector

I am curious to here what everyone's opinion is on the Grizzly DC, specifically the new 2hp with the 1 micron canister.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-...Series/G0548ZP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM

View fire65's Photo Album My Photos
Check my post, I am a Grizzly man. I have a 2hp, old style, and it has done its job for about 15 years now.
In my opinion you can not go wrong with big Grizzly tools. My shop is full of them. Their small and air tools I would never buy again.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Have the same unit, 10 years and going strong. I use two heavy duty garbage bags (one inside the other) for bags. It's a bit noisy but works very well, no issues.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

View tcarter76's Photo Album My Photos
So I guess you gentlemen would also recommend the G0513 band saw from Grizzly?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 PM

View fire65's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarter76 View Post
So I guess you gentlemen would also recommend the G0513 band saw from Grizzly?
I have the 555 and it does what I want it to do. I do not use my bandsaw to its capacity at all. I guess it would do more if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	band saw.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	70893  

post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:45 AM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
Don't know anything about that one but I have the G1029 and never had any problems. ( approx. 15 plus years )
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I do not have this Grizzly machine. I have a Jet 1 1/2HP with a cannister.

I think the Grizzly will work well for you, but be aware the cannister's are a big pain to clean and the dust/debris builds up fast and will eventually hamper performance and need to be cleaned.

I got tired of cleaning my cannister so was going to build a cone separator like Jet now include on this machine, but then changed my mind and added a Thien baffle. Much simpler.

I now get very little dust in the cannister, just the expected fines. Cleansing out is now much less frequent.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/m...parator-44695/

I have been on a crusade to improve the performance of my system. I removed my "Y" at the blower and cut out a plywood adapter to fit inside the 6in blower housing and cut out for the 4in fitting.

The 3 way "Y" on this machine will have a lot of pressure drop. You may want to consider removing and making your own adapter.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
I do not have this Grizzly machine. I have a Jet 1 1/2HP with a cannister.

I think the Grizzly will work well for you, but be aware the cannister's are a big pain to clean and the dust/debris builds up fast and will eventually hamper performance and need to be cleaned.
Just saying, but my my canister gets cleaned around twice a month with about four turns of a handle and a bit of shaking. Best part of one minute. A pain is changing and disposing the bag, around 10 minutes and a full green recycle bin.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Jet video

Jet have a video which shows what my cannister looked like before I added the Thien baffle.

The paddles on the cannister can knock down some of the debris, but they leave a lot of debris in the pleats of the cannister.

My Thien separator works as well or could even be better than the cone.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 PM

View Toller's Photo Album My Photos
A DC is a DC. Griz makes decent tools, so it is probably a good choice.

However I would encourage you to pay a bit more and go for a cyclone. I am with those that say that a DC is a pain to clean. The Jet cone is intriguing, but I will believe it when I see independent tests.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 05:38 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
We have one like that at the shop (but a LOT older) and we dog the pee pee out of it... It has sucked up a LOT of stuff that it should not be sucking up and it keeps right on trucking with NO issues...

Our has the thing inside to keep large chunks from getting caught up in the impeller. THIS is a great thing to have but machine will stop working so well if you suck up a big enough piece of paper (blocks the holes)...

There have been many days where ours has had to be emptied more than once... We WORK the wizz out of it.

The ONLY repair our has EVER needed was a slight stitching on one of the cloth bags due to a hole getting torn in it.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a 12 year old G1029 with a cannister that's pretty similar to the one linked to. It's been a trooper. 4 of my wwing buddies in the area also have a G1029 of similar vintage....one of them used in a commercial shop. No problems with any of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode