grinders - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

View Wonderwood's Photo Album My Photos
grinders

what is the best grinder to get for sharpening/A wet, or a dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I depends on what your sharpening. I prefer a dry grinder with White, blue or pink wheels for sharpening lathe tools. For carving tools and plane irons I prefer a wet grinder.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

View Wonderwood's Photo Album My Photos
it will be for Lathe tools. I have seen both used...and was just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM

There are many people using the Tormek wet grinder. It is very expensive and does put an good edge on the tools. However it is easy to wear the wheel which is quite expensive to replace. You also have to wait for it to soak up the water.
Most of the pro turners I know use a standard grinder. The wheels are inexpensive to replace and you can turn it on and sharpen in 30 seconds and be back to turning.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
WW,
What John said. I have both a tormek and a wolverine with the oneway jigs. When I am in the midst of turning something, I will go to the wolverine for quickness. Then, when I have more time, I will grab a bunch of lathe tools and use the tormek to put a finer edge on them. It's nice to have both, but if I could only have one, I would get the dry, slow speed grinder with the oneway jigs.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
grinders

I have the 8" slow speed grinder and it does a fine job.The biggest thing is to keep the wheel dressed properly.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 AM

When you ask this question on most woodturning forum's you get divided into 2 camps. The Tormek guys swear by theirs and the dry grinder guys swear by theirs. There's no doubt that the Tormek puts a sharper edge on a tool and some say the edge holds up longer. Just how much longer at 1800 rpm is still being debated.
What I find when talking to the various professional and production turners is that almost none of them use the Tormek for turning. In fact many think you should use a 60 grit wheel for turning tools. The feel the saw tooth edge actually holds up longer in production work.
I just bought a Sheppach wet wheel grinder and have been playing with it. It does put a good edge on lathe tools but I think it's just too slow and I worry about grooving the wheel which would cause problems when I switch to sharpening a hand plane blade. Of course you could true it up with the diamond truing jig but then you use up the wheel faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode