Green wood weed pots? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
Green wood weed pots?

I'm going to try turning some weed pots. They look pretty simple and kinda fun. I'm picking up some freshly cut maple tomorrow morning. Would this work well for them?

Is cracking likely to be a problem with something like that? What about finishing?

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 PM

View Steve Bellinger's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
I'm going to try turning some weed pots. They look pretty simple and kinda fun. I'm picking up some freshly cut maple tomorrow morning. Would this work well for them?

Is cracking likely to be a problem with something like that? What about finishing?

Thanks,
Rob
Rob fresh cut maple turns great. lots of big long curles. The way i do my green wood turning is ether turn to about 1" thick,then soak in DNA at least 24 hrs. take out of DNA and seal in a paper bag for a couple weeks, then turn to final shape and thickness. Finish depends on what your comfortable with. Now i have also had a lot of luck drying in the mircowave. When i do it that way ,i'll turn to the same thickness as stated above. Now i'll place in the microwave and run it on short defrost cycles, about 3 to 4 min at a time. Do this every hour or when ever you think about it. this i do over the corse of about a week off and on. turn to final thickness andd finish. Don't have many crack doing ether way. I know some folks that will turn to finish shape and thickness then soak in antique oil, and clam they haven't had any problems with cracking. Hope this helpd a little.
Steve
post #3 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I thought for a minute you were saying you were going to try and "turn some pot weed". I know times are tough but I was going to suggest a second job instead.

So for those of us who don't know what a "weed pot" is or how it's supposed to be built, could you post some pics once they are done?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.woodturner.org/community/...ts/WeedPot.pdf

Here's a real basic description of the process from woodturner.org. Weed pots are basically small vases that you put dry or fake weeds, flowers, et al into. Not meant to hold water and not a hollowed out form either.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Ha Ha!! Sorry~ "weed pot" had a different meaning when I was in college.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #6 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
just a dude

[QUOTE=TexasTimbers;160835]I thought for a minute you were saying you were going to try and "turn some pot weed". I know times are tough but I was going to suggest a second job instead.

[QUOTE]

No, times aren't that tough yet (knock on weed...er, wood).

[QUOTE=TexasTimbers;160835]
So for those of us who don't know what a "weed pot" is or how it's supposed to be built, could you post some pics once they are done?
[QUOTE]

I'm getting ready to go get some of the maple. I'll probably rough one out tonight and post a pic tomorrow. I like the microwave method Steve proposed, but even my finished product may be thicker than 1", so I hope it will still go well.

I may even experiment with a non-dried one. Turn it green and finish it with anchorseal? I'm curious as to what that would look like and how it would end up, though my expectations aren't high.

Rob
post #7 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I checked out the link provided by ACP so now I know what they are. Pretty cool can't wait to see yours.

BTW all you have to do to fix your quotes is put a forward slash in front of the word "quote" in the end tag. Like this - [/quote]

The start tag looks the same except it doesn't have the slash. Like this - [quote=whoever]

If I had tried to show them in the proper order it would look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever
Yowza!

post #8 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
just a dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
BTW all you have to do to fix your quotes is put a forward slash in front of the word "quote" in the end tag. Like this -
.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, TT.

I helped my friend finish cutting up a few logs today and he gave me a nice pile of maple and oak. I ripped and sealed them this afternoon.

I rough turned the weed pot ("rough" is a good term for anything I turn) and long, wet strings were jumping off it. Fun stuff.

There's a small knot that I hit with some CA glue. Is it likely to hold up or should I try to cut it out? I'm planning to microwave dry it over the next week or two as Steve suggested.

I left the tenon on each side for now, and will drill it out when it's dry.

Rob
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode