gouges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

View longbeard's Photo Album My Photos
gouges

im looking to buy a gouge but dont know what brand or size, there is alot to chose from and i know you get what you pay for
i would be using it mainly for turkey pot calls

thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
What tools do you have? A good start for a newbie is a spindle roughing gouge, a 1/4" or 3/8" spindle gouge, a 1/2 inch bowl gouge, and a parting tool. May also want to get a round nose scraper. I have some Sorby tools, some Henry Taylor tools and just recently bought a Doug Thompson bowl gouge. All are great tools. Also, a sharpening system will make your life so much easier. Let me know if you have any further questions.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

gouges

i have
skew
round nose
parting tool
roughing gouge 1in i think?
older set, but a good set
i was looking at benjamins best 3/8 bowl gouge
i dont plan on turning anything of great size but also dont wanna waste my $$$

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a fan of the Benjamin's Best tools...but that's just me. Some on here like them. I tend to buy the best tools I can afford. Seems everytime I try and buy a cheap tool, it either breaks, wears out too fast or doesn't do what it is intended to do all that well; then I end up buying the better one anyway. Again, maybe that's just me.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
I think most people would agree that Thompson Lathe Tools are the best available. For a bowl gouge you want to start with a 1/2" or 5/8" depending on who you ask.

Tim
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
So on the Thompson tools or any other for that matter... What difference in use is there for a u or v bowl gouge.
I'm adding suggestions for fathers day and would like to know what to ask for
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The difference in the V vs U is simply the shape of the tip. The V is more pointy. There are more sublte differences but most people don't no, don't care, or can't tell the difference when turning. Some claim the V clogs easier with green wood, I can't tell a difference. The shape of edge on the wings if you do that type of grind is slightly different and the V is slightly stiffer. These are very minor.
My choice for what you are doing would be a Thompson 3/8" detail gouge but that's just me. the Packard house brand 3/8" spindle gouge is a good tool at a good price. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/
The bowl gouge is a little less functional for general spindle turning but overall a more useful tool for all around turning. Get a 1/2" american or 3/8" british. they are the same tool just measured differently. U or V or superflute won't really make much difference, you'll learn to use and sharpen what you have.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with John that a detail gouge should be very helpful for you. When you do start turning bowls then you will need a bowl gouge also. A bowl gouge is not going to help much in adding small details to the perimeter of the pot. You can use your skew in a scraping action for the sharp corners for the slate/glass inserts but I would think a flat scraper would work better. I have never looked inside one but I assume the bottom is also flat and square at the corner, if so, then a flat scraper (with a burr raised) would be a big help. You can also use your parting tool to cut the corners but it would be time consuming to get the inside bottom completely flat.
I have never heard anything bad about the Tompson tools. Once I wear out my present tool(s) I will try one. I have purchased from Packard several times. They carry a wide variety in both type and brand and are very helpful.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks you very much guys
i appreciate the advice
i wonder if i could get my wife talked into one of every thing
post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm not a fan of the Benjamin's Best tools...but that's just me. Some on here like them. I tend to buy the best tools I can afford. Seems everytime I try and buy a cheap tool, it either breaks, wears out too fast or doesn't do what it is intended to do all that well; then I end up buying the better one anyway. Again, maybe that's just me.
I tend to agree. Henry Ford once said "if you need a machine today and dont buy it, tomorrow you will have paid for it and you wont own it. 1938

hughie
post #11 of 13 Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 PM

View mars's Photo Album My Photos
I use a carbide tool to make mine. The list of tools you have will do, if you want a gouge I would recommend a 3/8 bowl gouge if all you are going to do is make calls.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeard View Post
im looking to buy a gouge but dont know what brand or size, there is alot to chose from and i know you get what you pay for
i would be using it mainly for turkey pot calls

thanks for any advice

If you are making pot calls I would buy the East Wood Tool CI2 Mini Rougher. This would be good for making the chanels in side the pot. Also a spindle gouge for shaping hte outside.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the great advice, but i ordered a sorby multi-tool cause i figured i would be TRYING to make all sorts of things ( candy dish with lid, small vases, bowls, lidded boxes etc..)
also scored with a new ryobi drill press from from my wife and daughter for early fathers day

Thanks
Harry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode