Gouge strop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Gouge strop

Just an FYI.........was diggin around in library yesterday....ran across a 1950's or 60's book on general WW'n.In it was an interesting,albeit simple as dirt idea.

Making a wooden block with the appropriate radius'd edge....to which you glue leather(be sure to do calc on leather thickness).This then is charged with whatever grit "rouge" you feel needed....the whole thing is used as a strop for gouge sharpening/polishing.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Whenever I have gotten serious about sharpening a tool or knives, leather has always been the last step. Just plain leather with nothing added

I imagine that most of you here are too young to remember the old fashioned barber shop where the barber shaved his customers with a straight razor. He(she) always had some sharpening "belts" hanging from the chair. One of these was just plain leather.

George
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
No need to go tothat extreme on turning tools, would create too fine an edge that would only be dulled up to fast. Great for chisels and planes, maybe even carving tools where the rate of cut is low. Turning however, you are cutting so much wood so fast that it just wouldn't last long enough to make it worthwhile.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
No need to go tothat extreme on turning tools, would create too fine an edge that would only be dulled up to fast. Great for chisels and planes, maybe even carving tools where the rate of cut is low. Turning however, you are cutting so much wood so fast that it just wouldn't last long enough to make it worthwhile.
i watched a guy on youtube sharpen his skews using a leather belt.in your opinion would that be a good idea?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have an old lether belt glued to a board that run my skew chisels accross after trip to grinder.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 11:19 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I do strop my skews but only when I'm putting a fresh edge on. Most of the time I simply hit them with my 1200 grit diamond hone and stop there. I've done some simple tests and don't really see the difference. There might be at the very first touch of the wood but since your running hundreds of feet of wood a minute past the edge a really fine edge is gone pretty quickly anyway.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
George,my wife bought me a brand new barbers strop for a Christmas present a few years ago.It appeared(researched )to be from around 1960 or so......It is in fact charged with red rouge,from the factory.You can see it...oh how you say...poofing off when in use.I'll post a pick later,you can clearly see the rouge.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE= I imagine that most of you here are too young to remember the old fashioned barber shop where the barber shaved his customers with a straight razor. He(she) always had some sharpening "belts" hanging from the chair. One of these was just plain leather.

George,
I remember the strops in the old barber shops when I was a kid. They always finished up a haircut with the ol' straight razor around the ears, down and across the neck area. I have an old strop hanging on the wall in my shop that my dad gave to me.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
A barber friend showed me how to use a strop. I'll try to describe it. As you slide the blade down the strop you rotate it so the cutting edge lifts up, now down like we often see in the movies. If you rotate the edge so the heel of the blade lifts up first you round over the edge and don't get it as sharp as possible. At least that's what he said. I've tried to heed that advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode