Gouge question for bowl turners - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Maylar
  • 1 Post By Maylar

post #1 of 15 Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

View jspriddy's Photo Album My Photos
Gouge question for bowl turners

I started bowl turning with a single gouge-1/2". It came with a fairly straight grind, but over time I have swept the wings back somewhat. It serves me well for an all-purpose gouge. I now have a new 5/8" bowl gouge, same brand, a good deal heavier, with a fairly straight grind.

I envisioned using the 5/8" for roughing. I wanted to use the 1/2" for finishing and bottom of the bowl work, but I'm afraid the two purposes are at odds with each other in respect to the grind (finishing and bottom work).

I just wanted some ideas on what to aim for-a swept back grind for the 5/8" roughing, and a straight grind for the 1/2"? Something altogether different?

I apologize for the vagueness here, and thank you for your time,

John

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is nothing stopping me except fear and common sense. I'll get over both.

Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 12:04 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Go to the Woodturner's Catalog and they show how they should look like

And don't ever use a spindle gouge to turn a bowel, I didn't believe them either and ruined a new Sorby spindle gouge, I didn't get hurt, but it broke it in three pieces, about $130 out the window

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 12:48 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Gouge grinds are a very personal thing. Your plan for an Ellsworth "fingernail" grind and a traditional grind is typical. Both have their uses.
35015 likes this.

Dave in CT, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 01:52 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
As a new turner I would also like to learn more. I went to woodturners catalog, and watched videos...but they seem to be directed at someone who already knows what results they want and buy this. I would like to be more informed as to the why and what for in sharpening. I have an old craftsman set of gouges and scrapers (handed down to me), so I'm scratching my head not really knowing anything about gouges and scrapers. How are the angles that are on them determined? ETC. In other words Where to begin learning from someone knowledgeable about this, starting at the beginning.

Gary

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 12-27-2018 at 01:54 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Both these are bowl gouges. I haven't tried turning a bowel yet, but it sounds painful. Especially for the turnee.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
Both these are bowl gouges. I haven't tried turning a bowel yet, but it sounds painful. Especially for the turnee.

Not painful at all, you are just turning a short fat spindle

post #7 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 03:05 PM

This guy is pretty good, his dad is Alan Batty he is really good

https://vimeo.com/search?q=stuart+batty

Look on you tube, there are a bunch of good turners there, one I think her name is Ashley Harwood is really good, and good to look at too

But you will have to sort out the good turners from the I got a lathe and a camera so I am good

post #8 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
This guy is pretty good, his dad is Alan Batty he is really good

https://vimeo.com/search?q=stuart+batty

Look on you tube, there are a bunch of good turners there, one I think her name is Ashley Harwood is really good, and good to look at too

But you will have to sort out the good turners from the I got a lathe and a camera so I am good
Let me rephrase my question. I have a grasp of bowl gouges, straight grinds, swept back, etc., and sharpen my 1/2" gouge frequently with swept back wings. I know there are a 100 different names and theories, some of which seem redundant to me, for different grinds, but I'm satisfied with mine.

But...having acquired a 5/8" bowl gouge, with a fairly straight grind, I wondered whether to make it the swept back for roughing, since it's heavier, and re-purpose the 1/2" for something else?

I knew this was going to be a tough question to get across, but thanks to everyone,
post #9 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
Let me rephrase my question. I have a grasp of bowl gouges, straight grinds, swept back, etc., and sharpen my 1/2" gouge frequently with swept back wings. I know there are a 100 different names and theories, some of which seem redundant to me, for different grinds, but I'm satisfied with mine.

But...having acquired a 5/8" bowl gouge, with a fairly straight grind, I wondered whether to make it the swept back for roughing, since it's heavier, and re-purpose the 1/2" for something else?

I knew this was going to be a tough question to get across, but thanks to everyone,

I think just about everybody has their own way that they like, I guess you just experiment until you get it the way you like it, that is what I do

post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2018, 01:45 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
I'd say yes - do as you planned. Then turn a bowl and see if one or the other works better for you. The straight grind usually works better for the inside of a bowl. You can ride the bevel with a steeper grind when transitioning from the sides to the bottom.

I find myself reaching for different gouges, scrapers, etc including carbide tools while turning, depending on what I'm doing and the response of the wood. Yet I've seen videos of people turning a bowl using just one gouge from beginning to end. You simply need to practice to find out what feels best in your hands.
35015 likes this.

Dave in CT, USA
post #11 of 15 Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
I'd say yes - do as you planned. Then turn a bowl and see if one or the other works better for you. The straight grind usually works better for the inside of a bowl. You can ride the bevel with a steeper grind when transitioning from the sides to the bottom.

I find myself reaching for different gouges, scrapers, etc including carbide tools while turning, depending on what I'm doing and the response of the wood. Yet I've seen videos of people turning a bowl using just one gouge from beginning to end. You simply need to practice to find out what feels best in your hands.
Make the heavier 5/8" more of a swept back for roughing, and the lighter 1/2" more of a straight grind for inside work? That was my thoughts, but I wanted someone else's opinion before I started regrinding, only to regret it later.

Thank you,

John
post #12 of 15 Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I find all this talk about grinds amazing and confusing. I turned a small 5 inch bowl yesterday,,, with a 50 year old craftsman old fashioned gouge. I am going to make arrangements to go and have an experienced turner show me how he sharpens his new gouges. And then have him watch as I sharpen my own with his equipment. I know it is not as hard as it looks, but all the recent hype about changing the angles to 40-40 and such. The old fashioned bowl gouge, I can sharpen free hand on a wet stone.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-31-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
I find all this talk about grinds amazing and confusing...
Yes, I do also. Some of these grinds are so similar that I not sure the experts can distinguish one from another. Much like the wine experts that couldn't tell a red from a white blindfolded. But then again, maybe if we had the experience some of these do, we would recognize the small nuances for what they are, and how they perform.

I've decided to go with my original thoughts. I'm going to make the heavier gouge more of a swept back, and the smaller one I will gradually shorten the profile for what some refer to as a "bottom feeder", but maybe not that extreme.

Thanks
post #14 of 15 Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 AM

View JonnZ's Photo Album My Photos
I grind my regular bowl gouge at about 45 degrees with the swept back style, and for the bottom, I use a much straighter gouge ground to about 65 degrees . Works for me, but as mentioned, it's a personal choice
post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm slowly converting my 1/2" to a straighter grind, and the 5/8" to more swept back. Just sort of trying them as I go. I just thought the larger gouge would be better for initial roughing, and the 1/2" better for finishing.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode