Got wood? I do now. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

View Biscobob's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Got wood? I do now.

The past two Sundays have been very good to me. Last week I found a guy who makes baseball bats and had some unusable blanks to get rid of. They were all kiln dried Ash and Maple about 3.5 x 3.5 x 40 inches for 50 cents a piece. Today I headed about 60 miles away to pickup what was described as about a 1/2 ton of log round, log halves, blanks and other assorted pieces of wood. The gentleman was moving out of state and needed to unload everything he had. By the time I got the truck loaded I realized this was more like a ton of wood. It had been stored in his air conditioned basement for anywhere from 5 to 9 years and had all been cut to use for turning bowls. Now I'm not a bowl guy but when I am offered this much Black Walnut, Spalted Maple, Cherry, Locust and Ash for a $100 bill, I'm there. He even kicked in a buffing setup complete with all the supplies just to get rid of it. BTW the pics don't show it all, there were also about 30 small logs 5 to 6 feet long and anywhere from 3 to 5 inches diameter that went in my basement. Also just to the right of the rounds is a stack of large Walnut and Spalted Maple blanks. For some perspective of the whole lot, that is an uncut 4x8 sheet of plywood behind the pile.
Been a long day but everything is in the garage, not the way I want it but I've had enough for today. Time for a shower, a glass of wine and some air conditioning.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad

Last edited by Biscobob; 07-31-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: t0 should have been to, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
Good find.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM

View fixer's Photo Album My Photos
at that price ya should at least
feel a little bit guilty

WOW what a haul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
What a haul. That should keep you busy a few weeks.
Looks like some hickory, tulip popular, and others also.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
I've had some good finds but nothing like. That'll keep you busy.

Tim
post #6 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Couldn't feel guilty about it, he knew what he had and just wanted it gone to someone who would appreciate it. His neighbor offered to take it for firewood, that didn't go over too well.
There is a few Poplar rounds in there and three Crab Apple crotches that the wife had loaded and I didn't see. If there is Hickory in there I didn't see it. He had a few of them wrapped in paper bags with the date they were wrapped written on them. Was like Christmas opening those bags.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad
post #7 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Great haul. If its been dry that long you should not have to worry about checking.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Nice find! Congrats!

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #9 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Nice score!

Harrison, at your service!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 02:23 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
What a treasure trove to find -- one day I hope to be as lucky!

I just missed a beautiful old maple the town took down in my street, but made friends with the tree crew foreman so perhaps next time

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #11 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I am still digging through it and finding cool things. My head is spinning trying to decide which piece hits the lathe first.

Here's a tip on how I found this stuff. Every morning I get up earlier than I need to, been a morning person all my life, sit down at my laptop with a cup of coffee and search Craigslist for my area. The keywords I use are "lathe", "blanks", "barn" and when I'm desperate "wood", although the last one can create a list of results that are tough to sift through. Now I don't live in a heavily populated area so you may have to narrow your results with some extra words, but the proof is in the pictures, it works. Good Luck and let us know when you score.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Robocop52

View Robocop52's Photo Album My Photos
Nice find there, enjoy
Gus
post #13 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM

View jantzadam's Photo Album My Photos
Guess what all my wood turning peops, I'm getting about 20 some logs of that nice Spalted hackberry, will start making some bowls and maybe try some nice urn like boxes maybe with inlays.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Sweet find for sure. Nice going

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode