Good lathe needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

View Hoyett's Photo Album My Photos
Good lathe needed

Hello,
I am in the Navy Reserves and they have decided to let me purchase a lathe for our military wood shop so I can stop using my personal one for their projects.

I have to spend under $3000 total for a lathe and any and all accessories. This has to include chisels, chucks, safety items etc. So, where do I start my search? I'm thinking around $1500 lathe? the only thing I need is to be able to secure it to the floor and would prefer 110v power.

Please advise...

Hoyett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Look at the Nova 16/24 or the Jet 16". I think the jet is a little over the $1500 but it is an excellent lathe with a good reputation. The Nova is also a good choice.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Get a OneWay. Or, a Powermatic.

Harrison, at your service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Nova 1624 and find it to do everything I want. To step up with Nova you could go with the DVR but they are normally about $2250. $750 isn’t a lot left for all other items.
Just a possibility; they do have reconditioned DVR’s for 1800 with the same warranty as new I assume. http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm
This is about the same price as new WHEN the new are on sale but it interested you may be able to talk them into some free stuff (chucks ?), would be worth a try anyway.
Their listed prices are not reduced a great deal but that may be to protect the retailers.
You would have to build your own bench, I believe a lot people do anyway.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

i also found a link here on the search function when I looked up lathe comparison. It came up with a chart of many different lathes and prices. But without knowing anything about them I still do not know what to look for.

I am going to do some searches now for the recommendations thus far.

Hoyett
post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Army Vet-Comic-Woodworker

View Oak Tree Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyett View Post
Hello,
I am in the Navy Reserves and they have decided to let me purchase a lathe for our military wood shop so I can stop using my personal one for their projects.

I have to spend under $3000 total for a lathe and any and all accessories. This has to include chisels, chucks, safety items etc. So, where do I start my search? I'm thinking around $1500 lathe? the only thing I need is to be able to secure it to the floor and would prefer 110v power.

Please advise...

Hoyett

Personally, I would recommend General International's Model 25-300M1 it is 110V. Plenty of Swing and length. and if you want more an optional extension is available.

NOW I would have to say head to the Woodridge Woodcraft store. Tell them that is it for the troops and perhaps they will assist you in getting what you need completely ... And NEVER tell them you have $3K to spend..
I don't know if they would get a deal with taxes, but can't hurt to maybe suggest it... And since your buying for the Government I would believe that paying Sales tax wouldn't come into play.

Good luck I am sure with all these suggestion your feeling a bit
post #7 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Look up,twds sky..........its raining Powermatic 45's on the 'bay.One sold the other day for 305$And I see another starting there.Just sayin.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Oak Tree reminded me of a point which I had forgotten. If you are a member of AAW or a local woodworking/woodturning club you may want to check for discounts. Members at my local club get 10-15 percent discount at local outlets of some of the nationwide retail stores. Would be a nice savings. I didn’t know when I bought my lathe but I would have saved $150 (on 1500) just by telling them I was a member. At another store I did not even have to tell them, they had the club roster with my info and I automatically received the 10% the first time I went there.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Oak Tree that general international looks like she will do the trick.. Thanks for all of your help.

Hoyett

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode