It's been a couple of weeks since anyone posted to this thread so I hope I'm not too late. Anyway, I made a couple of goblets using that staved construction. I wanted to make two of them as a gift for my daughter-in-law's birthday. So I glued up two blanks and went at it. For the woods, I used Lacewood for the center. That was surrounded by maple and purpleheart, and then the outside was some Alder that I had. In my design, I wanted the stems to be a little bit shorter and the goblet bowl to be a little deeper.
When I started this, I had only had a lathe for a few months so I was, in every sense of the word, an newbie. I wonn't go into the details too much, but suffice it to say that my first attempt ended in an exploded bowl. LESSONS: Sharpen more and better. Take lighter cuts.
The second one came out ok. It took me a long time to do because, since I was learning as I went, it took me a while to learn how to hollow the bowl. I was also light in the tool and jig department. My best hollowing tool was a termite, but I did not have any idea how to sharpen it. Had to buy a new cutter and sharpener. And I did not have a steady of any kind (and still don't).
While hollowing I could see the bowl vibrating so badly that the rim was just a blur. The only way I had to steady the bowl was to put on a canvas glove on my left hand and steady it that way. Please don't yell at me about how bad of an idea this was. I know. But my hand kept burning without it, and it allowed me to get the bowl hollowed. Once I had that done, the rest was "easy" compared.
The third blank that I glued up started out ok, but I made another newbie mistake. I turned the bowl too thin just at the point where the bottom curve starts to straighten out and come up the sides. It didn't come apart, but the goblet would not have been able to hold water it was so thin. So I had to glue up a fourth blank and by now my selection was becoming more limited. That is why one of the boglets in the photo has some defects in it. I was able to use all the lessons I learned from the previous three and got the second goblet completed.
Once they were done there are one or two things that I wish I had done a little differently. I might not have made them quite so deep, and I think I would have tapered the top and bottom of the stems a little more to show more of the staves. Not sure about that one because I did want the lacewood to show. But overall I am satisfied with the way they came out.
Take John's advice and have some fun. If you have already done them, let's see some pics.