Gluing up segmented bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing up segmented bowls

I just completed the glue-up of my second segmented bowl. Unlike the first one I did, this one has three segmented layers that needed to be aligned. I found this very difficult to do and I am wondering how everyone else does it. I was able to make all my segments match very well. The issue I had was aligning them and clamping them during the glue up. On the last layer I taught myself a trick that might help me but I want some feedback on this. I twisted the two segments together and twisted them back and forth to squeeze out the excess glue. Then I let the sit for a few minutes until the glue started to get tacky enough that the clamps wouldn't mess up my orientation. Once I got all 4 clamps on I cranked them down. When I tried to do this without the unclamped witing period the pieces slid all around. Is this a good technique or are there better ways? Should I consider other types of glue like hot melt or hyde glue?

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM

View adienner's Photo Album My Photos
this might be hard to understand in words...
on the larger of the rings that you are gluing, i like to attach 3 blocks around the circumference of the small ring with super glue.(glue these on the face of the large ring) Make sure not to glue the two rings together now. Now, the smaller ring will fit inside of the scrap blocks that you attached. You can now clamp this and it will not move.

i realize that that was confusing...haha
any questions please ask and i will try to clarify
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
the method you are using is what I do whenever the segments need to be aligned perfectly. Glue has what is called a "tack" time. this is the time it takes for the glue to hold and not slide. I rub the two pieces together until it gets hard to slide them. At this point I carefully align the pieces and then hold them until the count of 30. I think you could get by with less time but that's always worked for me.
another trick I've used is to align them as listed above, wipe off the glue squeeze out in a couple of areas and then put some CA glue on the outer portion of the joint and hit it with accelerator. This holds it in place while I put the clamps on.
If the rings are the same size I often use a hose clamp at the joint to keep them aligned while clamping from the top.
I haven't done segmented work for quite a few years now but I'm starting to get excited about it again. I have new skills and some better tools and saw blades so it should be easier.
I still do a fair number of segmented rings but I use them as inserts into my mirrors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode