Gluing pen blanks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

View Big Shiny's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing pen blanks

I am really green to turning. I am having a problem with my brass tubes staying stuck to my pen blanks when I'm milling them with my barrel trimmer. Any advice guys?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Did you glue them with anything or you working with a press in fit? CA glue works well.
post #3 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I am using a gel ca glue. I squirt a little in the hole and put a little on the tube before I insert it. I twist and turn it inside the hole to try and get the glue all over the inside of the hole. Then I spray an accelerant inside the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i use med CA and put like 4 lines the length of the tube then twist while i insert it
other like epoxy best but I personally have never had a failure
post #5 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

How long do you let it set before milling?
post #6 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Yea i got wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shiny View Post
How long do you let it set before milling?
30 min minimum
I would kinda think that jell might be to thick to cover good
try the medium
post #7 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Robert. I had actually thought that about the gel. I'm going to try the medium. Maybe thick?
post #8 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Yea i got wood

Quote:
Robert. I had actually thought that about the gel. I'm going to try the medium. Maybe thick?
its up to you but I always use medium
post #9 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I'm going with what you say Robert. Surely You've been turning longer than I have. I'm going to get some tomorrow. Have you ever used anything other than ca? I've heard of people using tite-bond instant and getting the same results.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Yea i got wood

Quote:
I'm going with what you say Robert. Surely You've been turning longer than I have. I'm going to get some tomorrow. Have you ever used anything other than ca? I've heard of people using tite-bond instant and getting the same results.
most of my buddies use epoxy but like i said med CA has always worked for me
post #11 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 PM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the medium CA glue. If the brass tubes that come with your kits are shiny you have to scuff them up with fine sandpaper so the glue can adhere to them better. I buy my kits from Penn State and they come pre-scuffed. I recently read a gluing tip that I am going to try, squirt some CA glue on a piece of wax paper then roll the tube in it for a nice even coat then insert it in the blank.

Joe B. 41
post #12 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

I can see what y'all are talking about with the med ca. Come to think about it every time I put the gel ca glue in the hole before I insert the tube I look at the other end and there is quite a bit being pushed out. Plus the gel that i put on the tube too. Very little glue actually goes into the hole.
Joeb. That sounds like a very good gluing tip. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
post #13 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Yay! Finally on Facebook

View thenodemaster's Photo Album My Photos
I, personally use 5 minute epoxy applied to the entire inside of the blank and a glob all the way around the first inch or so of the brass tube. I have tried various methods of preventing epoxy on the inside with mixed success, but have the best luck with a pipe cleaner from the craft store dipped in denatured alcohol which I then use to clean out the epoxy the moment after the tube is inserted. I give a decent scrub then pull the pipe cleaner out with the clean end being the trailing end through the tube.

Dachshunds and pneumatic nailers do not mix. Whiskey. Tango. FOXTROT!
post #14 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I received an email from WWGOA the other day that was saying what tite-bond glue is best for what application. So I clicked into it and it gave several applications to choose from. Inserts for pen turning was one of the choices. It recommended the tite-bond instant. That was why I was asking you about it earlier Robert.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I also have noticed on the last three pens that I have turned that when I apply my first coat of ca when finishing that my eyes start to burn just about 15-20 seconds into applying. They burn pretty good too.
post #16 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 PM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I am really green to turning. I am having a problem with my brass tubes staying stuck to my pen blanks when I'm milling them with my barrel trimmer. Any advice guys?
Thanks
Just about any kind of glue should work, but I spotted several problems:
Quote:
I am using a gel ca glue. I squirt a little in the hole and put a little on the tube before I insert it. I twist and turn it inside the hole to try and get the glue all over the inside of the hole. Then I spray an accelerant inside the hole.
If you use CA, go with medium. You might also consider epoxy and polyurethane glue. Two problems I see with your method besides using gel glue:
  1. Don't put glue down the hole ... that's just asking for a mess because most of the glue will wind up inside the brass tube. First sand the tube lightly and then put glue on the outside of the tube only. Very quickly insert it into the hole while giving it a half twist.
  2. Please don't tell me that you are spraying accelerator down the hole after the glue has been "smeared around". It sounds like you might be pulling the tube out and spraying and then inserting the tube again. Forget about messing with accelerator because you might be causing the glue to set up before the tube is inserted. Accelerator just makes the glue weaker. Also, forget about wasting time smearing the glue around because there is no need to try to completely cover all surfaces.
Medium CA will set fast enough on its own. If your pens are wood, you can even use PVA glue. The only glue that I would advise against is hide glue.
Quote:
I also have noticed on the last three pens that I have turned that when I apply my first coat of ca when finishing that my eyes start to burn just about 15-20 seconds into applying. They burn pretty good too.
Don't use accelerator. I prefer super thin CA for finishing. It sets really fast so I recommend putting CA on a paper towel, making a very fast wipe and then toss the paper towel. Don't try to get all the goody out of the glue in the paper towel. Use the glue and paper towels like somebody else is paying for it. If you try to wipe until the paper towel starts to smoke, it leads to all sorts of finishing problems and produces noxious fumes. So, just a quick wipe and toss ... that's it. Then after the CA has set repeat ... just one quick wipe ... not two wipes and not a slow wipe. I think that you will like the results.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery
post #17 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I have both thin and gel ca. I will be getting me some medium. I appreciate all this information and input. Very valuable.
I have another question. I know this is a personal preference to everyone here. When finishing I have been using the thin ca. Putting just a couple coats on. Then switching over to mylands friction polish and putting a couple of coats of it on. Then I wax and polish one time. And done. I know I'm going to get bombarded with different ways to do this. Am I doing this right??
post #18 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 11:38 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
If you ask 100 woodworkers the "right" way to finish something you are going to get at least 100 different answers. Whatever you do don't ask what the best table saw is.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 11:59 PM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have both thin and gel ca. I will be getting me some medium. I appreciate all this information and input. Very valuable.
I have another question. I know this is a personal preference to everyone here. When finishing I have been using the thin ca. Putting just a couple coats on. Then switching over to mylands friction polish and putting a couple of coats of it on. Then I wax and polish one time. And done. I know I'm going to get bombarded with different ways to do this. Am I doing this right??
I believe in picking one kind of finish on a project and not mixing things up by layering a bunch of different things together. Layering, in my perspective can only degrade the overall result. Decide which you think is best and stick with it. at least for that one pen. If you want high gloss, nothing beats CA. Mylands give a good medium gloss, but I wouldn't apply it over CA. Wax give a soft sheen. I generally do not use wax unless it is used with nothing else. Sometimes I use it over a drying oil finish. A hard wax like carnauba can be used over other types of finish, but it will lower a high gloss down to a softer gloss.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery
post #20 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 12:18 AM
Yay! Finally on Facebook

View thenodemaster's Photo Album My Photos
Thick CA all the way for me. I have backed my car over pens and the had maybe a scuff mark.

Dachshunds and pneumatic nailers do not mix. Whiskey. Tango. FOXTROT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode