Gluing end grain to build turning block - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 12-19-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing end grain to build turning block

I'm hoping to make a pepper mill that looks like the lighthouse in the attached picture. I would plan to glue up alternating pieces of redheart and maple to make the stripes. The thing that has me wondering is that they will be all end grain glue joints. Any ideas on how to ensure these joints won't fail after the mill is drilled and turned?

https://images.blogthings.com/thelig...ghthouse-2.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-19-2015, 11:39 AM

View saculnhoj's Photo Album My Photos
It depends a lot on wall thickness or surface to surface area. Also the type of glue is important. Use epoxy. I did a test many years ago gluing 3/4" square pieces of wood end grain to end grain. I was amazed how weak the joint is. I clamped one end in a vise and slid a 5lb weight out the rod past the glue joint. All of them broke with the weight no more than a few inches past the joint except the epoxy which held until it got about 6" out. Still pretty darned weak. I even tried using a glue sizing on the joint which recommended by many as a good way to glue end grain to end grain. Made virtually no difference. I tried Gorilla glue, CA glue, yellow glue, hyde glue and epoxy and I think another brand of Polyeurethane glue. CA was the weakest. Next strongest to epoxy was yellow glue where I applied thinned glue to the surfaces and let it sit for a while before applying the full strength glue. Still a very weak joint and only marginally better than the plain glue. Gorilla glue and the other Poly glue was amazingly weak.
I have however turned a fair amount of pieces similar to yours and not had a problem. If all the pieces are end grain and you have a fair amount of surface area you should be OK> I am currently making some salt and pepper shakers glued up this way. The top area only has a wall thickness of about 3/16. It is only 1" outside diameter but so far all have held. I'm on my 6th or 7th one. It's actually tapered near the joint so it's probably closer to 1/4".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode