glue question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
slicksqueegie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 572
View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
glue question

I glued up the final ring of a segmented bowl yesterday. I use Painters tape to hold it together till I get a series of hose clamps around it to tighten and squeeze the joints together. Some people glue segments together I glue the whole ring. It works for me.
I went to un-clamp them this morning and found a single joint that I forgot to glue. I can open it slightly to create a slight gap (very slight) I can barely fit a insulin syringe in it. The glue is too thick for this needle. can I thin the glue with water? This is TB1 yellow. standard glue. I do not want to use CA ( I hear it will fail after a couple decades) I want it to last longer than that
Is there another type of glue anyone would recommend for this?
Its gonna be a salad bowl so it will see water often.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
slicksqueegie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,062
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie View Post
I glued up the final ring of a segmented bowl yesterday. I use Painters tape to hold it together till I get a series of hose clamps around it to tighten and squeeze the joints together. Some people glue segments together I glue the whole ring. It works for me.
I went to un-clamp them this morning and found a single joint that I forgot to glue. I can open it slightly to create a slight gap (very slight) I can barely fit a insulin syringe in it. The glue is too thick for this needle. can I thin the glue with water? This is TB1 yellow. standard glue. I do not want to use CA ( I hear it will fail after a couple decades) I want it to last longer than that
Is there another type of glue anyone would recommend for this?
Its gonna be a salad bowl so it will see water often.
I wouldn't thin the glue. Prop it open as far as possible, and keep laying beads and pressing them in with your finger, like you are packing a bearing.








.
cabinetman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
slicksqueegie (12-21-2011)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Glidden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 249
View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
For something that will see water more frequently I would switch to TB2, the working time is pretty short, but it's a waterproof glue. I was looking at TB3 in the store the other day and think I might try it sometime in the future for segmented stuff.

As for your current problem, take a piece of paper, apply a lot of glue down a length of a few inches, then open the ring and do your best to slide the paper through the joint until it deposits as much glue as possible within the joint. Good luck.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
Glidden is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Glidden For This Useful Post:
slicksqueegie (12-21-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
slicksqueegie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 572
View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I wouldn't thin the glue. Prop it open as far as possible, and keep laying beads and pressing them in with your finger, like you are packing a bearing.
excellent idea! Thanks Cman

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
slicksqueegie is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
slicksqueegie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 572
View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidden View Post
For something that will see water more frequently I would switch to TB2, the working time is pretty short, but it's a waterproof glue. I was looking at TB3 in the store the other day and think I might try it sometime in the future for segmented stuff.

As for your current problem, take a piece of paper, apply a lot of glue down a length of a few inches, then open the ring and do your best to slide the paper through the joint until it deposits as much glue as possible within the joint. Good luck.
I would be afraid the paper would get soggy and fall apart in there. But if I use your idea with some fishing line! Thank you!

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
slicksqueegie is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
slicksqueegie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 572
View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
I used both Ideas and I got even squeeze out all the way around the joint! Thanks again!

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
slicksqueegie is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
sawdustfactory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 4,801
View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
FYI, Titebond II is only water resistant. Titebond III is their waterproof glue.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
sawdustfactory is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baxter, Tennessee
Posts: 3,257
View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
don't thin the glue. force it in the gap with a thin piece of metal or plastic. I use a .oo5" feeler gauge or something about that size. Stiff plastic folder covers also work well. that's how I work glue into tight places when repairing cracks and torn veneer.
john lucas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glue-Up Question.... Seth Joinery 12 06-29-2011 10:05 PM
CA Glue question Kirkus Wood Finishing 5 04-12-2011 12:29 PM
To glue or not to glue, that is the question. djonesax Joinery 7 10-11-2008 11:04 AM
glue-up question Terry Beeson Joinery 14 08-11-2008 02:16 PM
Glue up question bigredc General Woodworking Discussion 4 01-19-2008 07:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome