Glue????? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

View gill61's Photo Album My Photos
Glue?????

I still have a problem with glue lines that keep coming up after i finished a piece after a few days it seems that the glue is coming up from between the segment pieces and then i have to take the piece back on the lathe and lightly sand it again, who knows what this is and is there a cure for this, i know alot of segment turners have this problem,

I'd rather die on my feet,
Then live on my knees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Gill not sure why you should get this, unless you are useing wood that is not prop dry or you have not flatten each ring and have hollows for glue to build up, which also could account for the glue rub tec not working also.
It is though its bleading which is some sort of moisture, other to that mate hope someone eles has an anwser, i have not done a lot of segment stuff. LB
post #3 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Gill This is a common problem among segmented workers. It can be the glue but most often it's working with the piece too soon after you glue it up. The glue adds moisture to the wood and the wood swells slightly. You turn and sand the wood and then a few days later the moisture dryes out and the wood shrinks. The glue doesn't so get a raised glue line.
I'm told you should wait a day or so between glue up and turning. The other alternative is to use a different glue. Epoxy will work but is messy and you can't do a rub joint. Hot hide glue is the best but of course you have to deal with mixing it and heating it and using it before it goes bad.
My friend Mark Kauder uses the hide glue method and his pieces have an automotive style gloss finish to them. Glue lines would look horrible on a piece like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Always nice to learn a bit keep um coming john, new we keep you around for something..LB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode