Gloves? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Gloves?

Do you wear gloves? If so what kind and why do you wear them?

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
For what? I wear them to move plywood, boards, etc. but gloves and power tools are a disaster waiting to happen.
Tony B, GeorgeC, difalkner and 3 others like this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Ditto - never around power equipment! Hauling lumber into the shop, loading the truck at the sawmill, cleaning up the shop and handling lots of odd pieces with splinters, etc. - yes, definitely.

David
Tony B and mjadams61 like this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Wearing gloves around machinery is an accident waiting to happen.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #5 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with not wearing gloves around a lathe however there was one bowl I made that the chips coming off of it was so hot I was getting burned. I carefully wore a leather work glove until I got past the part where it was hot and then put the glove away.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
General, non-machinery based work in the shop, I typically have on disposable Nitrile gloves. Sometimes I will wear latex coated knit gloves if it is something the nitriles won't hold up to, or I need extra protection.

I like working in the shop, but I don't like having shop hands...
difalkner likes this.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
For what? I wear them to move plywood, boards, etc. but gloves and power tools are a disaster waiting to happen.

Cannot be said any better than that.

George
post #8 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
My assistant at work wears gloves, he'll go through at least two or three pairs a month. I never bother personally

-T

“Time and titles do not matter in the bonds between people.” - Tomoyo Sakagami (Clannad After Story)
post #9 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
I'll often wear fingerless gloves with the table saw while handling rough sawn wood or on the bandsaw. Today I had them on in the shop for five hours including drilling, circular saw use, and cutting up old oak on the table saw.

I buy Grease Monkey gloves at Home Depot for about 10 bucks. They have velcro so you can pull them tight so there's nothing loose to catch. You keep your finger dexterity and protect your lower fingers and palm.

Since I started wearing fingerless gloves about a year ago, I enjoy not tearing up my hands and quickly notice when I don't have them on.

I was watching Charles Neal and he talked about why he wears fingerless gloves and the additional grip it gives him around the table saw, so I decided to see if it worked for me. It did.

However, I wouldn't wear gloves with fingers while operating table saws or bandsaws. But always wear them with a chainsaw,
mjadams61 likes this.

Remember - You're not a "real" woodworker unless you do exactly as another woodworker says you must do to be a "real" woodworker. It's called "The True Woodworker Fallacy."

Last edited by sgcz75b; 04-22-2019 at 07:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sgcz75b For This Useful Post:
mrbios (04-25-2019)
post #10 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I will wear nytril gloves when finishing and when I expect to get solvents on my hands.

Around machinery, never.

BTW - If you are gluing things together DO NOT wear gloves. Yeah it will keep the epoxy off your fingers but when you get glue on the gloves you can't feel it. Then when you go to finish the project the ugly finger prints show up where the finish doesn't adhere.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #11 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Beware of purists

For handling wood, particularly sheet goods, these seem to double my grip strength. I keep them in the car, by my stacked wood, by my sheet goods, and just about anywhere I need a cheap, but effective grip. They also last a while. At around a buck a pair, they're a bargain.

https://amzn.to/2IA1TCk

Remember - You're not a "real" woodworker unless you do exactly as another woodworker says you must do to be a "real" woodworker. It's called "The True Woodworker Fallacy."
post #12 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I thought of this. It is a question that only a glove wearer can answer.

There are many gloves that offer protection from sharp objects. The real concern with gloves is are they guaranteed not to snag?

If the tooth of the dado on a 3 HP table saw grabs the glove, the next question to be answered is: How much of your arm is going to be pulled into the throat of the table saw?

Please guys, no gloves near rotating machinery.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #13 of 25 Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 PM
Beware of purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
I thought of this. It is a question that only a glove wearer can answer.

There are many gloves that offer protection from sharp objects. The real concern with gloves is are they guaranteed not to snag?

If the tooth of the dado on a 3 HP table saw grabs the glove, the next question to be answered is: How much of your arm is going to be pulled into the throat of the table saw?

Table saws cut you- they don't pull you into the throat plate. Unless I'm very mistaken no one has ever been dragged into a throat plate from wearing fingerless gloves.

Perhaps I'm failing to see the concern wearing fingerless gloves securely fastened and tight on the palm and lower fingers. Gloves such as I wear prevent sweaty palms, offer a secure grip on wood and push sticks, and are safer (at least for me) than bare hands.

The next time your in Home Depot put on a pair. Cinch them tight with the velcro. These are not floppy, over-sized, Mule brand work gloves.

Should I get cut by a table saw blade it will be due to my carelessness, not because I'm wearing fingerless gloves.

That's my opinion.
mjadams61 likes this.

Last edited by sgcz75b; 04-22-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
No. I wear gloves is if I'm using a finish or paint, because it's too much trouble to clean my hands afterward.

I notice that nearly everyone wears gloves these days on YouTube DIY videos. And so do baseball players, football players, golfers, everyone's wearing gloves. Always with the gloves.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with everyone who warned about the dangers of gloves around power tools. Here are places where I use gloves related to woodworking:

* Leather gloves to provide better grip and avoid splinters when moving large lumber and plywood boards around the shop. Not when I am cutting the lumber.
* Leather gloves when folding and unfolding bandsaw blades.
* Nitrile gloves while handling messy glues, especially epoxy, polyurethane, and CA. It is mostly related to preparing small turnings, such as pens.
* Nitrile gloves while handling stains and finishes.

There is one exception that I make with gloves and power tools: I wear nitrile gloves while applying a finish to small turnings on a lathe, like pens. Typically it is a friction polish or a CA finish. The tool rest is removed and the lathe turns slowly. If a glove sticks, it simply tears off my finger without injury.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Beware of purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
No. I wear gloves is if I'm using a finish or paint, because it's too much trouble to clean my hands afterward.

I notice that nearly everyone wears gloves these days on YouTube DIY videos. And so do baseball players, football players, golfers, everyone's wearing gloves. Always with the gloves.

That's to protect their hands - it's not a fashion statement or a tribute to Michael Jackson.

I realize that many older woodworkers, of which I am one, are reluctant to try new ideas.

It wasn't that long ago when no one used dust collection, face masks, safety glasses, and hearing protection.

Now there's very few who don't realize the benefits of such measures.

Fingerless gloves are protection for the hand and will become more common as time goes on.

Let's keep up with workshop injuries as a direct result of a woodworker wearing fingerless gloves while using a table saw or bandsaw. Please post those reports.

post #17 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM

duplicate post
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Last edited by gj13us; 04-23-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: duplicate post
post #18 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcz75b View Post
That's to protect their hands

I know. My 13 year old son plays offensive line (without gloves at this point) and says, "You have no idea how much it hurts my hands." I say, 'yeah, toughen-up buttercup. Ray Mansfield played with a broken thumb....'

Of course, I myself never played football.

My father never wore gloves. His father before him told of how winters would get so cold working on the PRR locomotives that their hands would stick to the metal. So it's my own foolish pride that keeps me from wearing gloves.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Are there fingerless gloves that would be good for typing on a computer? No joke. My office is drafty and gets so cold sometimes that its gets hard to type.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Beware of purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
Are there fingerless gloves that would be good for typing on a computer? No joke. My office is drafty and gets so cold sometimes that its gets hard to type.

Yes. Look at LL. Bean, REI, and other outdoor sellers. They sell wool fingerless gloves.

Here's some from Amazon.
https://amzn.to/2IR0PJr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode