Glaser 1" scraper review w/ pics - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

View Bill Wyko's Photo Album My Photos
Glaser 1" scraper review w/ pics

I had spoke to Paulo the other day and said I was ready for another tool. I asked which tool he would recommend. He said with out a doubt to try his 1"x3/8" 10V scraper. I trust his opinion completely so that's what I ordered. Upon receiving it I immediately came to the conclusion that this has got to be the finest scraper on the planet. The quality and design technology along with the weighted handle and attachment method really show just how much effort was put into the design of this amazing tool. I really have to say, it's nice to have a company that makes their tools 100% in the USA, go to so much effort and set the bar so high for themselves. Many would say their tools are over priced. Lets define the term "Over priced" Over priced is when you plainly don't "Get your money's worth" Let me put that to rest once and for all, I definitely got much more than my money's worth. I truly couldn't tell you anything that could be done different or even changed in the slightest to make this tool any better than it is. When you think about it, we spend tons of money on our lathes, lumber, shops and everything around us to do what we do. Yet many will make sacrifices when it comes to the one thing that is used to bring it all together....The turning tools!!!! How many times have we all blown a project to pieces because of a catch that happened because of a light weight tool? I know I still have pieces that I haven't found years later. This needs to be a factor considered as part of your expense when purchasing tools. I'm not saying you should rush out and buy a dozen of these. But in my opinion, saving to buy a couple that you know are going to be your go to tools should be at the top of your list. I promise you, you won't be sorry.

A few more details about this animal, it weighs in at a whopping 3pounds, 11 ounces. It's right at 28 inches long. The balance feels perfect in my hands too. My first chance to really put it to use will be this weekend. What will work out nice is that I'm going to be turning another vessel almost exactly like the one I just did from beginning to end with my 10V bowl gouge. This will give me the opportunity to see how it changes my method and how useful the tool is. Needless to say, I can't wait. Anyway, I've babbled on enough. Sorry I can't get the whole thing in one picture so I had to do a few to show the detail. So at this point, please enjoy my friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Wyko For This Useful Post:
txpaulie (01-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I've got 1/2 of my next segmented turning glued up. It'll put the scraper to the test tomorrow. Already sharpened and ready to go.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, I put it to use last night. What I noticed right away is that it takes a lot less effort to peel off ribbons of wood than any other scraper I've used. The cut is extremely controllable. If I pushed too hard, the back of the handle starts to push up in my hand instead of an abrupt catch. That allows me to back off a little before doing damage to the piece of wood. The feel of the cut is incredible, it reminded me of the time I got to use a Brese hand plane at a woodworking symposium. A silky smooth slice like cutting leather with sharp shears.
Something that did surprise me, I can do very fine cuts making very tiny ribbons off of the cutting edge. The of surface wood itself is so smooth you would think I had used a Skew (The correct way) If it were a square edge scraper, almost no sanding would be necessary. Like the rest of my Glaser tools, the handles fluting rolls into my hand as though it had been molded to it just for me. Because the handle itself is almost 18 Inches long, there's a lot of room to move your hand back and forth to adjust to your liking. I hadn't really thought much about how the thickness would affect how the tool performs. But once I used it, I found it to be a major part of the control, dampening and the overall feel of the cut. I haven't used it on an angle yet so I haven't taken the edge off the corner. I think it's good that it's not done from the factory though. It's a modification that can be left up to the consumer. Most likely I will at some time though. My final conclusion is that every aspect of this tool is very well thought out and its individual components come together very harmoniously to create a surgical instrument designed for wood turning at its finest. We all know about the price, but would you want a surgeon operating on you with a butter knife?.....Me either. I can promise you, this tool is money very well spent, I love it.
Now my other problem, It's so easy to do an entire turning with one or two Glaser tools, my other tools are going to feel neglected. (Maybe I can rent them to my BIL) I traded my Jet Mini to him. He's about to jump into the Vortex soon.

The next tool I'll be reviewing is the Oneway Vacuum chuck. One big, beefy chunk of aluminum. I got one a few weeks back but haven't had a chance to use it.

Anyway, I hpope you enjoy my reviews, have a great day.

For those of you that haven't heard of Brese hand planes, here's a link. http://www.breseplane.com/

Last edited by Bill Wyko; 01-02-2012 at 01:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Wyko For This Useful Post:
duncsuss (01-02-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode