Get started on woodturning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Erik

View Viorato831's Photo Album My Photos
Get started on woodturning

I guys I want to get into woodturning so I was wondering what tools do I need to start turning pens I'm considering a delta 46-455 lathe and psi tools to go with it what else would I need? Where can a get cheap blanks to start practicing? Where do you guys buy your pen supplies? Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
PSI has a great all inclusive starters kit for turning pens. Has everything you need to get started.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Erik

Thanks for the info I found the kit but it doesn't have good reviews I'd like to buy something that will serve me for years no matter if I pay more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM

View Tnm9304's Photo Album My Photos
I was in the same situation just few months ago. I will share my thoughts as a new turner. i decided i wanted a new hobby last year and did a lot of research over about a 6 month period. I really wanted the Jet 1220vs lathe or the delta you mentioned. I ended up getting the PSI turncrafter 10" variable speed lathe with the basic starter package due to financial restraints. So far i am satisfied with my lathe. Now i understand why all the guys say its a slippery slope. I just sold my R/C truck i had bought a couple years ago just to get more supplies and tools so i could do more turning.
Tim
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM

View wmc1965's Photo Album My Photos
Just my two cents....I bought a grizzly G0657 bench top lathe. It does everything I want it to, pens, small bowls, bracelets, bottle stoppers and bottle openers, etc. I would advise a GOOD set of turning tools, you'll spend more on tools and accessories than a lathe. Rockler has a good starter set for pen turning, I would start off with wood over acrylics. I have not done acrylic turning yet, still getting comfortable with doing wood. I get supplies from woodturningz.com, shipping is quick and reasonable. http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx
Happy turning, hope this helps....

I measured it once, and I cut it twice, and it's still too short......
post #6 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnm9304
I was in the same situation just few months ago. I will share my thoughts as a new turner. i decided i wanted a new hobby last year and did a lot of research over about a 6 month period. I really wanted the Jet 1220vs lathe or the delta you mentioned. I ended up getting the PSI turncrafter 10" variable speed lathe with the basic starter package due to financial restraints. So far i am satisfied with my lathe. Now i understand why all the guys say its a slippery slope. I just sold my R/C truck i had bought a couple years ago just to get more supplies and tools so i could do more turning.
Tim
Haha Tim that sounds scary I don't want to start selling all my stuff. Yes I've notice woodturning supplies are pricey I'm getting discourage by looking at the prices for example a bag of pen blanks is over $50 plus pen bushings etc. But I guess it's worth it when you see the finished work.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1965
Just my two cents....I bought a grizzly G0657 bench top lathe. It does everything I want it to, pens, small bowls, bracelets, bottle stoppers and bottle openers, etc. I would advise a GOOD set of turning tools, you'll spend more on tools and accessories than a lathe. Rockler has a good starter set for pen turning, I would start off with wood over acrylics. I have not done acrylic turning yet, still getting comfortable with doing wood. I get supplies from woodturningz.com, shipping is quick and reasonable. http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx
Happy turning, hope this helps....
Thanks for the link sure helped . I'm still undecided whether to get the Delta or the jet mini lathe 1014 which is $150 less . How much did you pay for your lathe? And how big are the bowls you turn with this lathe? I don't want to regret in the future of not getting a good lathe.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Erik

Ok so I bought the delta industrial 46-460 for $ 375 new I think that is a great price the power box is cracked but says its 100% functional.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.penturners.org/forum/

Great place for tips, tricks, and techniques.

Scroll down to IAP Market Place for deals on blanks and other supplies.

List of most popular vendors.
http://www.penturners.org/links/browselinks.php?c=3

Hard to give advice on what to buy not knowing what other woodworking equipment you have on hand.

You can always go to big box stores for cheap dimensional wood to practice on. Many stores have bundles of hardwood firewood for few bucks. Check your area for tree trimmers or firewood sellers. If city recycles look for limbs or parts of trees at city dump.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 AM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
For turning tools, I bought mine from PSI. There called Benjimens best. There pretty cheap $15 to $25. They work great for me. They are mid sized tools maybe around 18" for some of them
post #11 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM

View wmc1965's Photo Album My Photos
I found a great deal on my turning tools on craigslist, I got VERY lucky. I have delta tools that run around $160 new for 100 bucks, check around for used ones that are HSS. that will save some cash to get you started. My tools are about 16", I was advised by some experienced ppl here that the bigger tools are better to get used to. Then if I am comfortable with technique, smaller tools could be in my future. To be honest I can turn pens, bowls, bracelets etc. just fine with the bigger tools. I wouldn't worry about getting smaller detail tools unless you're doing very detailed work

I measured it once, and I cut it twice, and it's still too short......
post #12 of 13 Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe16
For turning tools, I bought mine from PSI. There called Benjimens best. There pretty cheap $15 to $25. They work great for me. They are mid sized tools maybe around 18" for some of them
I just received mine yesterday they look nice I'm still waiting for my lathe to arrive though.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1965
I found a great deal on my turning tools on craigslist, I got VERY lucky. I have delta tools that run around $160 new for 100 bucks, check around for used ones that are HSS. that will save some cash to get you started. My tools are about 16", I was advised by some experienced ppl here that the bigger tools are better to get used to. Then if I am comfortable with technique, smaller tools could be in my future. To be honest I can turn pens, bowls, bracelets etc. just fine with the bigger tools. I wouldn't worry about getting smaller detail tools unless you're doing very detailed work
I order a set from psi for $63 they have good reviews we'll see. Once I'm comfortable with lathe tools I'll buy the expensive ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode