General Int. Lathes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Question General Int. Lathes

Has anyone had any experience with General (Model 25-200) Lathes? I looked at one today in a store and seemed to be a well made lathe.I now own a Jet 1220 (which I'm very pleased with) and thought I might one day consider one of these as an upgrade. It's priced less than some of the upper end lathes on the market today, but offering many of the same features. WWW.GENERAL.CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
General int lathes

I'v never used this lathe,but have turned on the larger ones an wern't impressed with them at all.This is not a bad price,but you are only going to a 3/4 and thats not going to give you that much more power at all.I have the Nova 16-24 which is 1,100 right now,but you get a 1 1/2 HP motor.So you may want to save up if you decide to upgrade from what you have and get something with at least a 1 hp.Good luck on what you decide.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM

View lanaisthehbomb's Photo Album My Photos
I had this lathe. After about 3 weeks the VS stopped working. I talked to general and they replaced the headstock. This supposedly happened on a lot of the beginning models. Since then it has worked very nicely. I have turned on the jet 1220 but prefer this much more. I recommend this lathe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
HLW

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. I've only had the Jet since June and right now I'm very happy with the Jet 1220. You're right "Woodsman" I would not be increasing in hp at all, the 1220 is also 3/4 horse. I thought if the General was anything close to the Nova's reputation it might be worth looking at? I would welcome other opinions on the Nova vs General and other lathes.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Just makin chips fly

general int lathe

I wasn't sure about the 1220 hp last might,thought it was 1/2hp.The Nova has rev , a 16" swing,swivelhead and that 1 1/2hp is awsome.I turned on a friends 2Hp general and was not impressed with it at all.It wouldn't be fair though to compare the 25-200 with the Nova as that would be like compairing the Nova to the Powermatic
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
HLW

"The woodsman" Does Nova still make the 16-24 and where did you purchase yours? Did you get it at a local store or mail order?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Just makin chips fly

General int lathes

I ordered mine thru woodcraft,I could have picked it up while down here in Tampa,but then there would have been the handleing of it(alone)thats why I ordered it up in NC.When I got mine they were 995.00 I think,but they have gone up since.That was two yrs ago.I can core out 16" bowls with it with no problem.Its not the VS,but only takes about 10 sec max to change speeds.LOVE IT
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 PM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
I would check online like Amazon or Maxtool. I bought my Jet 16/42 thru Amazon and they were a $100.00 cheaper then anyone else also free shipping and no tax.

Vince

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode