general 260 fix
my first mistake was believing nobody had moved the idler shaft setting, as the manual claims it is factory set, and needn't be tampered with.
i did this because i couldn't see any tampering marks on this adjustment, the belt was original, and it was clear the motor mounting plate had been played with. later with a mirror i could see multiple attempts on the idler.
in the end i started from the top and worked down.
- belt in spindle pulley
- idler gear and front speed control lever on ten
- quick grip idler pulley together with belt riding outmost line
- adjust the idler gear again, gain maximum travel on gear
at this point, the speed handle gear would not dovetail with the "pizza crust gear", so i pressed them together with another quick grip.
- tighten idler adjustment
- adjust lower belt, both belts now at their maximum extension but not too tight
- remove quick grips
- turn speed dial down to 5
- test drive
i hope this helps. it works a dream. apparently it has sat in this shop, inoperable for years.
i don't remember what my second mistake was