Fungus growing on bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

View robcain's Photo Album My Photos
Fungus growing on bowls

Hey all, I'm new here, been into turning wood 3-4 months since my dad gave me all his equipment (lathe, bandsaw, drill press), and have been turning whatever I can find. I have recently been turning some cedar I cut down from the back of my property (wife not pleased but I NEEDED WOOD, ya know?). About 2 weeks after roughing out some bowls, I noted a black fungus growing on them. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do to treat what is there now and how to prevent future occurance?

Thanks, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Fungus on wood

Hmmmm thats a strange one,I have ceder that has been layin around for 3 or 4 yrs an no fungus on it an have roughed out pieces that I just put on the shelf an let em air dry,some been there for over a yr an I don't even seal the ceder,but maybe you might try sealin them with anchor seal or somthing simular and see if that helps.Wish I could offer more.

PS when ya need wood,just go an get it an if she don't like it!!!!! well you'll get use to the couch,I did it;s really not bad to sleep on

Ken
post #3 of 6 Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have a answer either but I think your wife may have put a spell on the wood.

Lilty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

View robcain's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks to both of you for your replys. My wife has actually gotten over it after a couple days, next time I just won't tell her where I got it from. What is anchor seal? Is that a brand name or a type of product? Like I said, I am new to this hobby and am as of yet ignorant of a lot of it's aspects.

Thanks, Rob
post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
fungus growing

Anchor seal is a wax type coating that you put on the the ends of blanks once you cut them to slow down the drying proccess and to help stop the wood from splitting ,also once you turn a bowl blank you want to seal the endgrain of the piece,for the same reason.You can find out more about it at [email protected] If you will be working with a lot of green wood you should use this as directed or a simular product.I have been using this for about three yrs now.There is a great site you may want to visit as you can get a ton of info there also his name is Bill Grumbine at .He is a fine man that will not hesitate to help you in anyway he can www.wonderfulwood.com
Ken
PS I just visited Bills site and it is under construction,but you may want to earmark it for the future.Sorry ,but I didn't realize that when I posted it
Ken

Last edited by The woodsman; 09-09-2008 at 05:03 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 PM

View Bill Bolen's Photo Album My Photos
Probably just mildew. If your wood is stored in a spot that allows it to dry too quickly it will crack, if in a spot it dry's too slow it will mildew. Won't hurt the wood but will leave some dark staining that can go deep. I've found it usually inhances the piece...Bill...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode