Fun Story! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Fun Story!

All last week I've was trying to decide whether or not to buy a big honkin band saw for resawing stuff. Each morning, I'd take my son to school and pass a pile of cedar logs and limbs. Yesterday, I finally decided to buy a lathe instead of a bandsaw and ordered it last night. This afternoon, after picking up my son from school, I stopped and picked up some of those logs.

Tonight, I resawed a piece of the cedar limb and made a 1"x1" pen blank, and boy is it pretty! I didn't realize how purple fresh cedar is. I know it'll brown as it dries, but I'm pretty excited about finding attractive FREE wood on the side of the road.

I wonder how many blanks I'll end up cutting before my lathe gets here. I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
That is a funny story, But I expected you to tell us you bought the band saw and went to get the logs and they where all gone. LOL

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
It's always nice to take advantage of finds like that.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

Oh man, I'm pretty excited! UPS Freight just called and set up a delivery time for my lathe. Tomorrow evening, I'll be injuring myself on a new tool! :D

I also drove out to our "local" (it's 45 min away) hardwood center and bought some pretty chunks of wood to play with.

I got a piece of walnut, zebrawood, padauk, and purple heart.

Never heard of Padauk, but it's pretty. It's a bit redder than this pic shows it.

I'm really lookin forward to turning this stuff!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Fun story

I work with all three of those woods quite a bit,mainly for flat work,but also turn some.I love working with padauk as it is easy to work with.Be sure though that you where a good respirator as that dust will mess you up,especially when you start sanding it.Good luck with the new toy
Ken
post #6 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 05:12 PM

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by The woodsman View Post
I work with all three of those woods quite a bit,mainly for flat work,but also turn some.I love working with padauk as it is easy to work with.Be sure though that you where a good respirator as that dust will mess you up,especially when you start sanding it.Good luck with the new toy
Ken
I've never used Padauk... define "mess you up" ????

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

Thanks for the tip on the padauk. Since I don't have a dust collection system, I was wondering about using a mask on the lathe. None of the people in the "how to" videos I've seen have worn one. :(

Make sense for the sanding part, tho! :)
post #8 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Fun story

DUST,some folks it may not hurt as bad,but it wll catch up to you.You should where a respirator any time you are sanding,or even while turning especially if the wood is real dry and dusty.I have the trend and also a delta dust collector.Two of the best investments I made and my sinuses and lungs thank me every time I leave the shop.They cost me about 500.00 total,but copd and other problems are a lot more expensive.Exuse the rant,but I know folks that cannot walk across the room without being out of breath.Also I'm a nut on safety
post #9 of 14 Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

It's here! :D

Man, that dude is heavy, too. :O I managed to get put the legs on it and get is set up in its new home. As I was putting it together, it occured to me that the name "Grizzly" might indicate the sight of my mangled remains after I use this thing. I hope that's not the case!

My first impression of it is that Grizzly lathes are quite solid. However, their packaging SUCKS! The box was beat to hell and back, though not torn open, miraculously. The styrofoam that's supposed to hold everything in place in the box was shredded. There was minor damage to the swivel pin, but I've already called for a replacement. Hopefully they know that their packaging sucks and they won't give me any hassle. I'll keep you posted!

Johnv51, did you get yours yet? How'd it make the trip?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM

View woodchip's Photo Album My Photos
I also drove out to our "local" (it's 45 min away) hardwood center.

Where and what is the name of the hardwood store? The only place i know of is the woodcraft store and a place called Alabama hardwoods at the Shelby county airport.

I got a piece of walnut, zebrawood, padauk, and purple heart.

Never heard of Padauk, but it's pretty. It's a bit redder than this pic shows it.

I'm really lookin forward to turning this stuff![/quote]
post #11 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

The Hardwood Center is just west of Scottsboro, which is about 45 minutes east of Huntsville.

Way closer for me than the Woodcraft in Pelham or the one in Tennessee.

I have no idea how their wood prices compare - I have nothing to compare them to. Since there is zero competition for them, I'd have to assume that they're priced pretty high. I asked about 400' of 1x8 walnut and it would've been about $3000, if they had that much - which they didn't.

They did seem to have a pretty nice variety, though.

I love Huntsville, but damn nothings close to it.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00kemdano View Post
It's here! :D

Man, that dude is heavy, too. :O I managed to get put the legs on it and get is set up in its new home. As I was putting it together, it occured to me that the name "Grizzly" might indicate the sight of my mangled remains after I use this thing. I hope that's not the case!

My first impression of it is that Grizzly lathes are quite solid. However, their packaging SUCKS! The box was beat to hell and back, though not torn open, miraculously. The styrofoam that's supposed to hold everything in place in the box was shredded. There was minor damage to the swivel pin, but I've already called for a replacement. Hopefully they know that their packaging sucks and they won't give me any hassle. I'll keep you posted!

Johnv51, did you get yours yet? How'd it make the trip?
Mine arrived yesterday evening. The packaging was intact and there was no obvious damage. When I opened the main box some of the styrofoam was broken but there was no visible damage to the lathe. I spent a couple of hours working on it. I put the legs on then grabbed a can of mineral spirits to get the gunk off it. These things have to survive a freighter trip from Taiwan and a train trip to Springfield (for mine anyway). I put 5 coats of Johnson's Paste Wax on any unpainted surfaces then installed the head, tool rest and tailstock. I mounted the tachometer then took it for a test spin. It started nice and slow, around 600 rpm, then I tested the speed control and watched it move smoothly up to 2400. The motor was surprisingly quiet for a 2hp. I checked the alignment of the headstock and tailstock spindles and it looks dead on. This is my third large tool from Grizzly and I am very pleased.
I'm still waitin on my new chisels.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!

Last edited by johnv51; 03-06-2009 at 03:16 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

I investigated the noises in the belt / pulley area on my G0462 today. I also checked out the mechanism that controls the speed. It's really pretty cool how they use the adjustable pulleys to vary the speed! With the cover off and the pulleys exposed, I carefully ran it up to full speed and checked the action / alignment of the belt and the pulleys. After all of this, everything seems fine. I guess the new belt just needed some breakin time?

I'd have to say that it's got a little bit more noise at low speeds than it does at high speeds.

Works really well, though! My next step will be to figure out what tools I need. The basic set from Grizzly already doesn't seem like enough.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
I'll start with a chuck for it first. I'll see what I need next.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode