Free hand or with grinding fixture - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Free hand or with grinding fixture

I'm pretty good at sharpening drill bits from about 20 years of doin it.Do any of you sharpen your turning tools freehand or do you use a bought fixture or homemade one?Itchy

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I use a tool rest... piece of angle iron clamped to the bench.

Basicaly freehand I guess.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I do both but I Love the Oneway sharpening system. I've sharpened by hand for many years and like you also sharpened my drill bit by hand.
The most important part about sharpening is having a true running wheel and a light touch. No actually the most important part is knowing what a grind should look like. Then you just grind lightly until the edge has the right shape and sparks come over the edge.
The reason I like the sharpening jig is that the bevel angles come out the same every time. Because of this you remove a very small amount of steel. My Oneway jig has payed for itself, easily, in just a year or so. I bought a new Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge because I wanted to have 2 that have different grinds. Out of curiosity I placed the new one next to the one I use daily for the last year and a half or 2 years. I have sharpened it a lot because I love using a sharp tool. I had only ground off a hair over an inch in that time. I was shocked and called Doug to ask if he had changed the flute lengths. He had not. Grinding by hand I almost guarantee I would have used twice that amount if not more.
It's easy to build your own out of wood. I've made several. I bought the Oneway system simply because it's more solid and locks in position quicker and easier. I balked at buying it for a long time because money is hard to come buy for me but I believe it was a very good investment and will last a lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 PM
oregoncarver

View oregoncarver's Photo Album My Photos
If you look on youtube.com you will find seveal homemade jigs for sharpening lathe tools. I made one using a 50.00 wet grinder from Sears and I can sharpen my long tools as well as my pen turning tools on it. Cost about 10.00 for material after the grinder and it seems to work very well.

Arthur
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
I saw them on utube also,Ill probably make one because ya take a lot less metal off your tools doing so.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
Freehand and homemade fixture.

Lilty
post #7 of 11 Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
need help

New to woodturning. My problem is this. Using my faceplate, I secured a piece of walnut ( 5 in, diameter x2 in thick). What is the safest way to resurface the disk face.What cutters to use and most important which one not to use. Ron Marietta
post #8 of 11 Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
spell check

I,m new to this web site, I use Wood's. I really like what I see and read.

I sent a question to forum in woodturning, ask for spell check

OK for us computer illerate (me) what up with that. You have a bunch of stuff but spell checker should be top of the list. It sent me somewhere else was afraid to click on anything with the fear it would cancel the spell check I have

Hope this reaches the people who moniter this web site

Ron marietta ga.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm pretty good at sharpening drill bits from about 20 years of doin it.Do any of you sharpen your turning tools freehand or do you use a bought fixture or homemade one
I am pretty in the same boat as your self. I have been free hand sharpening drill bits etc 30+ years or so and until recently did the same with my turning tools.

Just recently I picked up a sharpening jig on Ebay for a very good price. The reason for going over to a jig is simple, duplication of the grind and time taken to achieve it. This also controls how much I grind off with great predictability and so in the long run saves tool steel and money along with time.

hughie
post #10 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM

View Electric_Ute's Photo Album My Photos
I also use both, but the more I turn the less I use the jig. I find the jig useful for establishing a shape, but for retaining the edge I just go freehand and follow the shape left by the jig. I prefer to push my gouges up the wheel as opposed to turning them in a wide arc, and I find I can sharpen freehand just as accurately this way.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM

View pvwoodcrafts's Photo Album My Photos
I freehand most of my tools. I did make a jig for the fingernail grind though. It helps that I worked in a grinding shop for 15 years though. I reground roof bits for the coal mines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode