flower and stem mirror - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
flower and stem mirror

Here is my latest hand mirror. The handle is tulipwood that was inlayed into the mirror. The flowers are purple heart with Tagua nut Inlay. The body is Curly maple. I included 2 photos to try and show the Chatoyance of the curly maple. It's impossible to see in a still photo. you really need a video.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Nice John, not my sort of thing but looks nicely done nice chioce of woods. Not something that sells over here like a lot of stuff, its strange the differences in some things that we like but don,t take up. Norm Abrams bad spelling but sure you know whom, works well but never stuff i would make. Anyway, nice work john, im biz extending my shop and cleaning out years of wood its very slow, i seam to pick the wood up and drop it back where it was I hate cleaning or is it just getting rid of wood. Always nice to see you come up with something John. Oh see you made it into woodturner with my lemon cupcake LB
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks LB I've actually had to make a market for these since I'm one of the few if any who make them. I think there would actually be a market for mirrors if you made all sorts, wall, free standing, tilting, etc. 90 percent of my customers are women, I guess us men don't need to see ourselves.
I haven't received my issue of Woodturning yet. Did they include some photos of my friend Marion Randolph. We had a great time shooting him in his shop. Marion had sent some photos to Mark and he liked them and wanted to publish them along with some photos of the shop. Marion told Mark he would ask his friend John Lucas to take some photos. Mark and I have known each other for a while now since I wrote my first article for the magazine so he was surprised that Marion and I are friends. Anyway it made Marion's day. He's in his 80's but you sure can't tell it. He will turn a 25" bowl in a heartbeat if he can get the wood in the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Hi John no mention of your friend, theres about 8 others in the readers section, there is a guy Paul Petrie from NewYork fulltime carpenter with some Spherical containers rather nice work, i would have thought you would have got the mag by now another 5 days i get the next issue. Must get around to try and get hold of some of Woodturning Design mags, see if i can get them shipped out shame we do not have outlets near by. Hope you get you mag soon John..LB
post #5 of 9 Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 AM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
John Lucas
Beautiful mirrors John. Well done as always. I received the instructions on inside out turning you sent me last week. Sorry I couldn't write and thank you sooner. Went into the hospital the day it arrived. So I want to thank you for the kindness John. I owe you one. Mitch
post #6 of 9 Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Mitch Hope everything is OK. I have too many friends who have had hospital visits lately including my Mother. Maybe it's the economy.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
mirror

John,
Nice job on the mirror. Very nice work. I have an old timer turning buddy that lives on the next street from me. He does a lot of craft shows and only makes pepper mills and winestoppers. He would look at the mirror and would not even consider making one because he couldn't sell it and make some money on it. I am constantly trying to get him to try new one or two-off items just for the fun of making them, not necessarily with the only thought being of selling them. I sell some items now and then, mostly to friends and family that want to give them as gifts to someone else. But I am always making different things just to try them. I made two toothpick dispensers that I saw in one of the Woodworking magazines. I'll post some pics soon. They turned out nice, were fun to turn, and my wife and sons and their girlfriends thought they are really cool. So I'll have to plan on making some more. Keep up the good work,
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice piece,gotta be some folks that would love them.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Actually there are folks that love them. I sell about 60 or more a year and I could easily sell more but I just don't have the time to make them. I always have a problem selling ones like this because I have to price them too high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode