First turning projects - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

View MatthewD's Photo Album My Photos
First turning projects

Here's a few pictures of my first few projects, I have used green wood and had a few questions regarding time and when to start finishing the bowls etc. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
They look great, nice work!

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #3 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

My questions: how long should I let the bowls dry? What can I use as a cheap alternative for jaws (currently using face plate for bottom, ugly screw holes to fill in)? Where can I get seasoned wood to play with??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Put the bowls in brown paper, and weigh until no more weight loss. Then finish turn. As for jaw alternatives, look up youtube videos on jam chucks.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Is there anything I can make for cheap? I've tried hot glue and it won't hold my piece to the lathe? I've seen people use a paper of some kind with glue, what's that about?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
jam chucks you can make from plywood or MDF scraps and re-use them for bowls of the same size, or re cut them for smaller bowls.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #7 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I glue up 2 pieces of 1x3 oak with titebond to use as a waste block. 2" stock would be better but I can't get it locally.
I use mostly 5 minute epoxy to glue my blank to the waste block. Make sure both surfaces are true and flat. You can turn your blank between centers to true up the glue surface first.
There's no reason not to turn some green wood to finished in one session. The form just needs to be uniform in thickness everywhere so it won't crack on you. It will warp doing it like this, but personally as a fellow newby, waiting 6 months to finish a piece is beyond my patience level.
There are lots of ways to do it. This is just what has been working for me. Be safe.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, I appreciate all the comments. I'll give the epoxy a shot for sure. Another question, is there any old secret places to find seasoned woods, like saw mills or anything of that nature. I don't mean specifics but just places that you guys go to, to get nice pieces to work with? I'm just getting started and any tricks of the trade would be very helpful. Thanks again everyone!
post #9 of 12 Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I placed a bid on some jaws this evening, I think they're call steel fox? Anyone heard of the brand? Self centering 3 jaw system
post #10 of 12 Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm sorry shop fox steelex
post #11 of 12 Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 PM

View tymann09's Photo Album My Photos
Hey matthew, glad to hear you're getting started in the woodturning field. it seems that you are curious where to get seasoned wood. there are several things you can try. depending on where you live, there are almost always local lumber mills and sawmills. I live out in the country and there's 3 within a half hour of where i live. usually you can go to the mills and most times, they've got hardwoods for folks like us. it's usually all dried lumber. even if you can't find thick wood to make stuff, theres nothing wrong with glueing pieces together and making a thick piece. If you really have no lumber mills within even an hour of you. then i'd advise one of 2 things, you could either find some seasoned firewood, which is usually quite seasoned and actually produces some beautiful work sometimes. or look online. ebay is actually a wonderful place to find dried turning blanks, just make sure you read the description as sometimes they are green. i wouldn't reccomend spending a fortune, so i would probably stick to your basic hardwoods, maple and cherry are cheapest and yield beautiful pieces.

I have not heard of the shopfox brand. but for just getting started, it's better than nothing!

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 AM

View fixer's Photo Album My Photos
I use a donut chuck to finish the bottom
of my turnings,there easy and cheap to make

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode