First Turning Project . . . - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
First Turning Project . . .

Yesterday Mrs. TT and I traveled to the big city to finally get the stuff to get her lathe running. We spent about 2 hours in Woodcraft in Addison - a DFW burb - and that's a hard place to leave (with your wallet). The guys there were awesome. They said it's good we came on a Sunday, because if on a Saturday we wouldn't have got 2 hours of uninterrupted attention.

We also got all the stuff she needs to turn pens. At least that's what the guy told us. They were out of those pen presses but maybe I can come up with something for that.

Last night we both spun our first wood just to get used to using the tools. Man it is a pretty potentially dangerous undertaking. These are the two pieces we gingerly played with. I went first and spun that taller piece and she the shorter (and better looking) one.

Name:  FirstTurns.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  56.5 KB

So then I decided to throw a piece in to turn a bowl. The chuck I bought last year on sale did not fit on the lathe, so I have to get one of those. Since I couldn't turn a bowl I decided the piece would become a candle holder and she can throw some potpourri in the bowl part maybe. She liked that idea. I got too confident roughing out the bowl and snapped the rough gouge like a twig.

Name:  BrokeGouge.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  53.8 KB

I figure I can take the gouge to a machine shop and have another tang cut into it, remove the broken tang from the handle and reinsert. I don't think I can cut that HSS with my bits or I'd chuck it in the CNC and do it myself. Better left to the metal spinner dudes I think.

This practice piece had a lot of pith and cracked so bad that I wouldn't sell it, so I figured this would be a good piece to see if I have any turning blood. It was a bad idea I soon found out. It's not a good idea to learn on defective wood. As I was turning out the hollow, the pithy wood gave way and dropped off the centers. I had reclamped it in this pic and was pushing the envelope (for a newbie). I eventually got the middle portion of the wall to the point I could see daylight through the pith cracks and figured I'd got lucky to get that far and better stop. The base had started to separate also.

Name:  Kev1stProject1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  87.9 KB
Name:  Kev1stProject3.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  70.1 KB

First Turning Project . . .-turningcollage.jpg

You can't see it clearly, but I turned a fairly decent hollow on the underside of the top rim. I'm not going to chuck up a practice piece ever again. Too dangerous. Plus, knwoing my luck the best pieces would be the ones I cut out of a junky blank. I have a lot of questions but I'll save them for later. I think Mrs. TT will be trying a pen tomorrow. This turning thing is very addicting I can tell already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Don't use a Spindle roughing gouge to turn bowls. You just found out what happens. The tang simply won't stand up to any catches. A good 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge is the way to go.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
roughing gouge on a bowl is like drilling a hole with a chain saw lol right idea with the tailstock smart thinking

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
sawdust maker

like i have said in the past if you havnt got mistakes mishapes malfunctions or shavings on the floor your not doing enough work
keep practicing

post #5 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
You're more adventurous than I was the first time on a lathe. You'll learn fast that way, but might spend a little more on gouges.

As for the pen press, you really don't need one anyway. You can easily press a pen together with a vise. Just tape some cardboard or something inside the jaws so you don't scratch the pen.

Keep at it.

Rob
post #6 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Hey TT, not bad for your first go at turning. You guys will find that the more you do the more you will want to do. Turning is extremely addictive.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #7 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
I must be missing something here. Why do you feel you can't turn a bowl without a chuck? What's wrong with just using a faceplate? That's how I was first taught back in school (late 1960's). Put the faceplate on what's going to be the base, turn the bowl, remove the faceplate and glue a piece of felt on the bottom to cover the screw holes and provide a non-marring base. I never even heard of a chuck for a wood lathe until a year or two ago. What am I missing?
post #8 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
TT,
If you have a local turning club, I would highly recommend you visit them. If not, there are some good books out on lathe turning basics. At the very least, pick one up. They go through the different tools and what they are used for and how to use them safely. Learning on your own you will pick up a lot of bad habits that are sometimes very dangerous, like you found out with the roughing gouge. They are for spindle work only.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 05:37 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Aside from the broken gouge, I think that you're first attempt was a good one. I'm still fairly new to turning so I'm not one to give advice. I can, however, give a compliment. Nice work. Keep it up. It's also nice to hear that Mrs TT is in on the action.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM
sawdust maker

i agree with Kenbo great first go keep up the good work last month i had a nice sheoak bowl shater on the final sanding 1200rpm straight into my shoulder and i lost my sandpaper 1500grit

post #11 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 AM
sawdust maker

why dosnt the chuck fit?

post #12 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
That is some pretty looks wood to be your practice stuff... I'll trade you for some pine!

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #13 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

Thanks for all the great tips and advice and compliments. I feel sufficiently stupid to have not even bothered to find out what the perticular gouges are used for. Or not to be used for lol.

I made a makeshift repair to my spindle gouge and turned a spindle last night. Once done, it dawned on me the weakness in the tang is intentional. A break-away safety feature. My copper ground rod and clamp design was sure to wreak havoc if I hung it, so I proceeded very cautiously. It took 45 minutes to get it roughed. Still not smart especially to be so inexperienced I know. No arse chewing needed, and no I won't let Mrs TT use it until I get it repaired properly.

Name:  RoughGouge.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  22.5 KB

It wasn't perfectly symmetrical but didn't throw much of a fit.
First Turning Project . . .-tableleg1.jpg

They always look cooler when spinning.
First Turning Project . . .-tableleg2.jpg

It's not done obviously. I intend to use the ROS while it's rotating, is this a bad idea? I know I have to be careful where the void is. The top with the red brackets is going to be a tenon. Haven't decided on if it'll be a through or not. The blue arrow points to what was left when I stopped. I don't like that extra profile. I didn't have a plan I was just winging it. Any suggestions to modify the shape are welcome. I think I'll turn that part out and let it continue to gradually get narrower to take out the goblet shaped flange part - open to ideas from experts though.
First Turning Project . . .-tableleg3.jpg

It was 5.25" longer than this but I had to cut it off to get it to work for the project it's intended for.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

This is a better picture to look at for those that might want to offer some suggestions on how to make the profile more appealing.

First Turning Project . . .-tableleg4.jpg

That didn't seem to work. I guess I've hit the size limits and can't get a bigger one for you. I'll crop one and uplaod below.

Name:  TableLegCropped.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  31.7 KB

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 07-13-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: trying to upload larger image
post #15 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
I must be missing something here. Why do you feel you can't turn a bowl without a chuck?
Because I don't know what I'm doing, and the method you described might as well be written in Greek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
TT,
If you have a local turning club . . .
We don't. But Mrs. TT being considerably smarter than I has been watching lots of youtube videos and has also signed up for a Woodcraft Peppermill course coming up in a couple weeks. The 26th I think she said it was. I need to step back a bit and at least learn the tools better I agree.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

I got antsy. One thing led to another and I cut it all out and left enough for a ring, to give the grand boys something to break off. I didn't put any finish on it since it needs lots of hand sanding first. If I ever do one of those again I'll know how to do ia a lot better next time. I don't know if I used the right method - I'm surprised I didn't break it.

Name:  TableLeg6.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  TableLeg7.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  TableLeg5.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  16.3 KB

Still got work to do on the base, but that's the easy part. Next time I post on this I hope it'll be in the project showcase. Have to get back to work for a few days first. Plus I've been banned from the lathe for a few days.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Hey TT,
Send me an email and I'll send you my peppermill tutorial. It goes step by step, with pics of each step. Very easy to follow. Best of all, it's free.
Mike Hawkins
[email protected]
post #18 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
first turning project

Hey TT it is definitely a learning proccess,been 3 + yrs an i still don't know nuttin.looks like your getting the hang of it pretty good there.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #19 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

Thanks Mike. I'll PM you Mrs. TT email her Peppermill class was canceled and she was bummed.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM
sawdust maker

one of my first turnings i could not decide what shape iwanted to do so i did lots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marks woodworking 027.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	15768  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode