First Tops - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
First Tops

Made some tops today for my 1.5 year old. They're pretty small, but the smaller one works really well. I was making a larger 3" one out of some laminated oak, but it broke on the lathe. I think my tools were dull already. After sharpening, I tried again on some pine scrap.

Today I learned the frustration of losing a bunch of time to a break, but also learned that tools must be sharpened more frequently than I expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM

View Wonderwood's Photo Album My Photos
Looks very nice...Im sure the small fry loves them...and yes...A sharp tool...is a must...I have also found this out.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool! I'll bet the 1 1/2 year old loved them! And to think you could build a toy out of wood to hold his attention rather than a video game or cartoon on tv. Good for you! They look very nice.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Good job. I too have learned the pleasure of working with a sharp tool is well worth the time to sharpen it.

Tim
post #5 of 15 Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

My 1.5 year old loves them! Since I got the lathe last week, I've come out of the shop with a new toy for him every other day. When he gets up from his nap, he looks all over to see if there's a new wooden toy hiding on his toy shelf. :P

I'll have to hone my skills at honing my tools. I ran them across my bench grinder a few times today and they don't come off as round as I'd hoped. I guess I'll have to practice that, too!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dano,
good job on the tops. I think the adults have as much fun with them as the kids do. At our turning club, someone did a demo the year before last on making tops. So the next meeting we had a top spinoff to see who's would spin the longest. We did it again last year and it will probably continue to be an annual event. We have two categories, under 3" diameter, and over 3" diameter. In the over class, you can also make the stem long enough to make it a two handed spin. For the smaller ones, try using the densest wood you can get or have lying around. The winner the first year made his out of ebony. Keep the center of gravity low, so don't make the point very long (<1/2"). After that, it's all in the finger snap. I have seen them spin for more than a couple of minutes.
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 15 Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

I made another one today. This one is the laminated oak that I failed with the last time. With sharpened tools and a slower hand, I found this top in a chunk of wood. I also got [part of] my order from Craft Supplies USA () that had a bottle of Shellawax friction polish in it. I used that on this top. The polish went on easy and shined up fast. And it doesn't have to sit for hours and hours to dry! It's ready to go right off the lathe!

Lessons learned today... leave more tenon for parting (the bottom of this top still has a small dimple from the tailstock center). Also, have a plan for polishing the ends that were parted. I think I'll need to set up a polishing wheel for my drill press or something like that. I just touched the ends up by hand and they aren't nearly as shiny. Lastly, thorough sanding goes a long way. I probably spent less than a third of my time on this top shaping it on the lathe. The rest of the time was sanding and a minute for the polish.

Mike, thanks! I sure wish we had a club here, the spinning competition sounds fun! As I was working on this last top, I figured there are probably some mathematics and physics involved in shaping an efficient top. Someday, I might learn them, too!
post #8 of 15 Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Dean

View Dean Miller's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Dean Miller
I handed out tops to all the grandkids, eleven of them, for Christmas last year. They had a blast with them if you could keep the adults from hogging them. Dean
post #9 of 15 Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 AM

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
Tops are very coll, make great gifts. Like Dean said, grown ups like 'em as good as the kids.

Jason Porter
post #10 of 15 Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Maker of sawdust

View wood shavings's Photo Album My Photos
Have any of you made a top that you put in what looks like a wooden slingshot but with a hole in one of the arms. You stick the shaft through the hole wind on two, three feet of string give it a quick pull and they spinnnnnnn for a very long time.
Jerry
post #11 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM

View hdschoedel's Photo Album My Photos
I wish I had thought of that

I think I will have to turn up some tops. I have some Hophornbeam lying around that would probably be perfect for it. Definitely the densest wood in my neck of the woods.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I had started some rattles but got sidetracked on house projects. Now I'm going to have to do some tops in the very near future for all the new babies coming around us. Great idea.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool. Quick, easy, fun and um, for the kids, ya, the kids.
It does give me an idea of what to do with the smaller left over pieces from other turnings.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #14 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

Oh yea, these finger powered tops are easy and fun to make, and great for using up scraps. I also made some throw tops this past Christmas for a customer. I've seen the kind that have the handle and the pull string - I think they're called 'pull tops', but I haven't made any of them yet.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
I made 23 tops for my 9 yr olds class at Christmas. They were so excited and had so much fun with them. The teacher even asked if she could have one because she used to play with a top at her grandmothers.

They had so much fun spinning them. It was a blast to watch them.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode