First Post of a First Wood Turning Machine - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

View atkins's Photo Album My Photos
First Post of a First Wood Turning Machine

Gentlemen,

This is my first post and hoping to learn a lot from you guys. I just won this lathe from Ebay and hoping someone here could help me find the right parts to make it works ( i don't think the tailstock and headstock is ready to use like the seller said )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I hope the link work.Thanks in advance,

A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
First post of a first turning machine

Welcome Atkins,Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but what you have there is junk.Sorry ,but yes its not worth what you pd for shipping.That being said,is there is a possibility that you can return it?then do so ASAP.You will loose your shipping charge,but maybe you can get some of your money back.I have a simular lathe that I picked up with some other tools last year,but mine is a single tube mach that is made by Ohio Forge.It is setup an ready to run.not a great lathe ,but it does run and would be a good beginner lathe.I don't know where you are located,but if your interested you can email me and maybe we can make a deal if your not to far away.I have two faceplates with mine,plus a new Nova chuck,plus some cheaper tools.All you have to do is set it on a bench an start turning.I was gonna list it this weekend on a few forums I'm on.I want 100.00 for it.I just pd 50.00 for the chuck and 20 for one of the faceplates and it allso has a drill chuck that I just got fot it 30.00 bucks for that.So basicly I am giving the lathe away and recooping some money on the accessories.So let me know if your interested.
PS
If your interested I can send you a pic
Ken

God Bless all
Ken Ward

Last edited by The woodsman; 08-29-2009 at 10:04 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ken,

The shipping is actually 25-ish dollar to CA. You scared me Ken, why is that lathe a junk? less good metal material? I'm actually in Indonesia, and the CA address is a family. Thanks for the offer Ken. But i have to learn more of headstock and tailstock. Anyone can give a link of accesories for this lathe?

Thanks,

Atkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
First post of first woodturning tool

Hi Atkins.I must appollogize for the srong words (junk) as all you were doing was asking about parts for it.These lathes are made under many names and its very difficult to find parts for it.It looks like all the parts are there,but I really can't tell.The bad thing about these lathes is that they are very cheaply made.To see if all the parts are there,I would just look at other lathes and that should give you an idea as to whether or not all is there.I know its easy for me to say this,but if parts are missing and you can't get it going,I would cut my losses and look for something better.If it does work,then get some practice in on basic turning,then if you find that is what you enjoy,save up and get a better one.Sorry I couldn't be of more help,but if you need more help,just ask and someone will try and help you out.I have no problem if you want to email or PM me with a question.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
I have done something like that before.. Pay for it and don't pay for the shipping. Have him dump it. Or do whatever he wants to do with it. Cut your losses. No need of throwing good money after bad.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Atkins, I wouldn't argue about the categorization of that lathe as junk, but if the rust hasn't ruined it (and it probably has) and it can be cleaned and oiled, you'll find it a workable lathe. Check out these bowls:

www.phinds.com/bowls

The first 100 or more were made on that exact lathe (although mine was bought new about 30 years ago and never had any rust). I used it for 25 years before moving up to one that is just trash (low end Harbor Freight) instead of absolute junk.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Gents,

I paid for the lathe last night, because it is the best for my budget. My other choice was the $76 Rand on ebay,which will cost another $200 ( shipping + transformator- to use here in 220v ).

I was looking for a mini lathe that can handle 13inch piece, i also check my local JET distributor, a mini JET here is $400.

Paul, thanks for the links, it's a great support for me, and you have superb fine art there my friend.

Well, i will surely resurrect this thread once the lathe arrive at my doorstep in a month or two. Then, i'll bother you guys again with more newbies questions.

Thanks again for the aall advice, appreciated very much.

Atkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode