First post... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Rough around the edges

View elixirmm's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to elixirmm Send a message via MSN to elixirmm Send a message via Yahoo to elixirmm
First post...

Hi guys. I have inherited my grandfathers lathe and I would like to start learning on this before I get too deep into it. First off, this lathe is somewhat homemade and could be at least 30 years old. I know he used it for turning wood cause I have a lamp that he made on it before I was born It looks as if I'm missing a pieces from the tail stock? I'm also not sure of the type of oil/lube that I could use to keep everything sliding smoothly. Any ideas, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Here are some pics I took this morning.

http://gbistudios.googlepages.com/Lathe2.jpg
http://gbistudios.googlepages.com/Lathe3.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 12:33 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You are missing a tail center. If it has threads it will be a little tough to find something to fit on it. Get back with me and I may be able to come up with something. If it has a hole that appears to be tapered it is probably a #1 or #2 morse taper,(I'm guessing a #1). You can buy what we call a live center to fit. Some of them came with dead centers that didn't rotate with the work. These suck but they can be used. You have to lubricate them with wax constantly to keep from burning the wood.
Any good penetrating oil will lubricate parts that might be rusted together. The spur drive probably comes off the headstock if you soak it with a good penetrating oil. Then you might also have faceplates that would screw on this shaft so you can try your hand at bowls and such.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
John has said just about it, i would agree a #1 morse, there will be a hole behind the tail stock get a long bolt or round bar and give it a light wack after some lube if its stiff or rusted in, then give it a clean up, and as john point out get yourself live centre. As for the head stock spur that should unthread, find out thread size then you can get a chuck and or make face plates and different wood chucks that you can come back on once you have sorted yourself out, if your into wood and have an idea of the lathe you will love it once you start and understand some of it, and you will find that its a lot easier than you think. Start and find yourself some wood, hardwoods or soft, kiln dry or trees that have been cut down, from small branches to large as you want, a good thing to have is a chain saw, petrol if you are going out and about but at home i prefer to use an electric one, i have people near by so it keeps the noise down. Have fun..LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Rough around the edges

Send a message via AIM to elixirmm Send a message via MSN to elixirmm Send a message via Yahoo to elixirmm
ok, I got the spur drive off with no effort. The threads are clean so shouldn't be a problem getting plates for it. The tail stock, as I got an up close pic of it this morning, the left side does have threads and is hollow for about 1/2 inch. otherwise the screw shaft is solid.

post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM

I think it's going to be hard to find a live center for that. It apparently had a tail center that probably looks like the Drive center except pointed with out the drive teeth.
They could also have used an insert that goes in the hole. The outer portion would be raised larger than the thread size and then taper to a point. You would install a nut on the threads and then insert this tail center. When you needed to remove the center you would crank the nut out and it would push the center out.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Just call me Sir

Okay then looks as though you will have to use what you have, and use as a dead centre just use some wax for lube. The lathe will give you an intro to turning if you enjoy it then you could upgrade to a better model depending on funds, you can buy real cheap turning chisels they work you just have to sharpen them a lot more often, just remember you really need very sharp tools.
You could make yourself a revolving centre if you wanted, skateboard bearings would be okay easy to get, find a nut that is the same thread as your tail stock end, can not think of the name of nut its one that look 3 nuts in length someone will know the name of them, one end to your tailstock a bolt through the bearing into the other end then you could turn a hardwood cap, might be you are into metal work or know someone that could run it up for you. Just have a go with what you have, a lot of what is out know just makes life easier for us, your dad used it without fancy bits, just go for it, see if you like it. happy turning LB..
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Good idea LB. I've also forgotten the name but they are used to connect 2 pieces of All-thread rod together. Just cut the head off a bolt and thread it into the connector. Then put that on the tailstock and it will be your center. I would sharpen it to a point before I put it in the connector. If you have a drill and it's big enought just chuck the bolt into the drill and run it up to a stone or grinder to get it to a point.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Rough around the edges

Thanks guys, I'm with you on this....I know what piece you're talking about.

Oops! What the....? Wait..Hey, that's kinda cool!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Rough around the edges

Guess what I found!

Looks like I found the pieces I needed to get started..Yes, those are dead stops Also I learned a dirty word....rust.... yep...every tool has rust on it. So, looks like I'm getting greasy this week.

First post...-p3090010.jpg

First post...-p3090016.jpg

First post...-p3090014.jpg

Crap - they don't line up..

Oops! What the....? Wait..Hey, that's kinda cool!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
indeed! oh bout 2-3 cm?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Just call me Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
indeed! oh bout 2-3 cm?
My eyes must be really bad, i would have said 2 or 3 mm but there you go, if your up in the cm then you might need to get the welding gear out. if your only a couple of mm then cut a couple of bits of coke can to half the rad of your bars and stick them under the tailstock, make them as long as the tailstock and on both sides, might just get you there. Oh turn the ends of the tin up at the ends so they dont pull through as you move it back and forth. Or you have just got yourself an offset turning machine . LB..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode