First Lathe - Which One? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
First Lathe - Which One?

I have been looking off and on at lathes for a while. Now that my workbench is pretty much finished I am thinking my next significant tool purchase will be a lathe. I will be turning pens initially and then maybe move on to other small items. I don't know much about lathes but in the research I've done it seems that 10x14 is the size I am after and I think that a variable speed setup would be nice. I am drawn to the Jet 1014-VSI but it is a bit spendy. I have also looked at the Turncrafter variable speed setup for a bit less but I just don't know anything about them. Finally, I see that Grizzly has a variable speed 10x16" lathe for about the same price as the Turncrafter. Once again though I don't know anything about it. I am looking of CL for deals as well, but there just doesn't seem to be much showing up.

So, I guess my question is should I hold out for the Jet since everyone who has it seems to be happy with it, or is there another less expensive model that will get me started and keep me going for a while? I also understand that I will need to get tools and supplies as well as a grinder before I can really get going on this hobby, but I think I'll start with the lathe.

Thanks for any input,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have not heard anything bad about the Jet. But to throw another wrench in you may want to look at the new Nova. !2” swing rather than 10” and 3/4hp rather than 1/2hp.
Here are the specs; I believe it is $499.

www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/CometII/Downloads/10203_Nova%20Comet%20II%204pp%20broch_web.pdf

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM

View longbeard's Photo Album My Photos
You might wanna look at the delta's 46-460 vs.
alot of good reviews on those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
I bought a delta 46-460 a few months ago and really like it. I would recommend it.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
post #5 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Woodaholic

View stevespens's Photo Album My Photos
Just my 2 cents.
I have the Jet 1014VSI. Great lathe. Super accurate. Center to center is absolutely spot on. I can drill bullets for pens and come out dead center every time. It has an extremely rigid frame. Heavy cast steel.

I love it. I was fortunate enough to get it a few years ago at a Rockler store for $299. I have a good collet chuck, a couple of good drill chucks and some other misc rigs. Use it for pens mostly. Done a few small bowels.

Over-all. I give it a 9.5. And that's only because it's unheard of to give a tool a 10.

Woodworking is addictive, but in a good way.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM

View Bart Leetch's Photo Album My Photos
Remember you can turn smaller items on a bigger lathe but not bigger items on a smaller lathe.

Also the tooling & chucks to go with the lathe are the other half or more of the cost. If you decide to go bigger later most of the tooling will work & some of it can be up graded to fit. You'll be out part of the cost of the Lathe. If it was me I wait until I find a lathe that will turn 12"-16" with outboard turning available with a VFD it will take a lot longer to outgrow it.

Last edited by Bart Leetch; 02-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM

View wmc1965's Photo Album My Photos
first lathe

Matt, I just got my first lathe a month ago. I opted for the grizzly G0657, it is affordable and a great lathe so far, but.....I only got it a month ago. I turn pens, wine stoppers, bottle openers, etc. It has plenty of power for what I am doing, that being said, I am very happy with the lathe. you'll absolutely need a decent bench grinder to keep the tools VERY sharp. I have picked a lot of ppls brains here and found they know their stuff!!! Ask around and remember, you will be spending MORE on tools,grinder,attachments etc. than you will ever pay for a lathe. Look at the whole picture and add it up, THEN crack a cold beer (you'll need it).....Happy turning...
post #8 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
heres an article about choosing your lathe

http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/

hughie

Last edited by hughie; 02-02-2012 at 11:46 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like you can't go too far off with the Jet. If I could find a new one for $299 today I would buy it in a heartbeat. Can't seem to find it for less than $539 though before shipping. Took a look at the Nova and it did look interesting, but it was tough to find anything about it other than what was on their website. Also looked at the Delta and it looked nice. Only problem is the price went in the wrong direction from the other lathes I was looking at. I know, I know, buy the best you can afford now in order to save money in the long run. Even though I could afford it, turning will be a new hobby for me and it's tough to spend that much right off the bat when I don't know how passionate I will be about it. As some of you pointed out, I also have to keep in mind that I am going to be spending probably at least that much more before I can even get started on my first project.

Which brings me back to the Grizzly. Price is good. Solid cast iron construction. 16 inches between centers (though still only a 10" swing). Wide range of speeds. And I know that Grizzly has a good track record of taking care of their customers (and they are headquartered in my home state). Aside from the obvious capacity limitations, does anyone know of a reason not to go with the Grizzly versus the other models I was looking at? Does it accept universal chucks and other components? Will I easily be able to pick up accessories for it at Rockler or Woodcrafter? Any common known issues with fit or finish? I have a Shop Fox table saw (which is essentially a rebadged Grizzly) and I am very happy with it. I'm not set on getting the Grizzly. However, if it will do the job and there aren't any obvious issues with it, why not? Also, I read and considered the suggestions about getting a larger lathe. It makes sense, but I really think I am going to be happy sticking to smaller projects such as pens and wine stoppers for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,

Matt
post #10 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 AM

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post
I have been looking off and on at lathes for a while. Now that my workbench is pretty much finished I am thinking my next significant tool purchase will be a lathe. I will be turning pens initially and then maybe move on to other small items. I don't know much about lathes but in the research I've done it seems that 10x14 is the size I am after and I think that a variable speed setup would be nice. I am drawn to the Jet 1014-VSI but it is a bit spendy. I have also looked at the Turncrafter variable speed setup for a bit less but I just don't know anything about them. Finally, I see that Grizzly has a variable speed 10x16" lathe for about the same price as the Turncrafter. Once again though I don't know anything about it. I am looking of CL for deals as well, but there just doesn't seem to be much showing up.

So, I guess my question is should I hold out for the Jet since everyone who has it seems to be happy with it, or is there another less expensive model that will get me started and keep me going for a while? I also understand that I will need to get tools and supplies as well as a grinder before I can really get going on this hobby, but I think I'll start with the lathe.

Thanks for any input,

Matt
Matt in your equation of getting the most for the buck in buying a lathe, don,t forget the company support team. For me I would highly recommend Jet, I owned 2 ea Jet lathe 10x14 and the 12x20, the small incidental problems I,ve had, the support team in Tenn was a big help in making sure I got the right part and in a timely manner.

Hopefully other fellow turners will share there stories, good or bad.

PS the 2 Jet lathe that I have, best machine I ever bought.

PSS Don,t forget amazon and or e-bay for price comparison

Ron Marietta Ga
post #11 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 AM

The Grizzly seems to have three in the 10” swing. The G0657 has a fairly low speed which you will need for larger items.
As far as I can tell they all have a 1X8 spindle and 2MT’s so matching with chucks, centers, or other accessories you may wish to add should not be a problem.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by NCPaladin; 02-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Woodaholic

View stevespens's Photo Album My Photos
Like was mentioned above, tools and jigs are as much or more than the tool itself. The Jet 1014 has a #2 morris taper, so all those parts will go to the larger lathe.

Just my 2 cents.

Woodworking is addictive, but in a good way.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Another not mentioned is the Rikon 70-100, seems to get very good reviews also. About $400 and 12" swing.
Doesn't really mean much but the local turning club has 4 jets and 3 rikons for onsite demo's (fairs, schools, scouts, etc). I haven't heard of any problems with them.
Here
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...lathes/?page=1
Is an article on the Rikon and two Jets.

post #14 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM

View Bart Leetch's Photo Album My Photos
Nova 1624-44 Polls

http://www.woodcentrm/cgi-bin/turnin...nova-16-24-44/

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=7158

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18344

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137234

Been researching lathes for awhile I did all the work for you quite awhile ago.

As far as the Grizzly lathe I go for the 12" bench topG0658 bigger motor for one VS motors don't have as much power hp for hp as belt driven lathes.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeard View Post
You might wanna look at the delta's 46-460 vs.
alot of good reviews on those.
That's the one I have and I love it.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM

While looking for something else a banner ad at Highland came up.
Looks like a good one maybe? On sale for $300. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/r...-70-050VS.aspx
I know nothing about it other than Rikon tends to have a very good reputation. Maybe others have first hand experience.

post #17 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM

View wmc1965's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
The Grizzly seems to have three in the 10” swing. The G0657 has a fairly low speed which you will need for larger items.
As far as I can tell they all have a 1X8 spindle and 2MT’s so matching with chucks, centers, or other accessories you may wish to add should not be a problem.

This is the model I have, I can get most of if not ALL of the accessories I need at rocklers. If I cannot find it there I can always order from Grizzly and they seem to ship real quick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode