First Hollow Form - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

View jbksman's Photo Album My Photos
First Hollow Form

This is my first true hollow form! Elm 6" W X 4" H. Finish is Formby's tounge oil and paste wax buff, another first for me. I did it in one shot green and it did crack, but I "stitched" it with wire, another first for me. It also is now an oval, which is not a first.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
jbksman
Congratulations you did good. Keep working at it and sooner than you think you can put that wire away. (wink) Mitch
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 PM

View Crazybear's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice form. Personally I would lose the wire and replace it with a leather lace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybear View Post
Very nice form. Personally I would lose the wire and replace it with a leather lace
I thought of that as well...but didn't have any on hand. I've got some now just in case I need it.

thanks for the comments.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Job. Elm tends to move a lot and you have a lot of pith areas in there so it would have been difficult to keep from cracking even if you turned it pretty thin. It looks like you have the skills you just need a better piece of wood. If you spray it with water while your turning to keep it wet and then dry it as slow as you can you stand a better chance of saving a piece of wood like that.
Your other choices besides metal lacing or leather stitching would be to carve out the opening larger and then color the edges black. The only problem with this is that the crack never falls where it would if we carved it on purpose.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 AM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
You can paint the wire darker.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
It looks like you have the skills you just need a better piece of wood. If you spray it with water while your turning to keep it wet and then dry it as slow as you can you stand a better chance of saving a piece of wood like that.
Thanks for the complement. This was a crotch peice so yes there is lots of pith. I've never heard about spraying water while turning. I will try that soon.

Stuart, I had some darker wire that may have looked better, couldn't find it at the time. I think I need to clean the shop a little again. To many curlys flying of the lathe to keep up with.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Hi if its your first go at hollow form then hey you not done bad at all, the crack as said by others, yes show it out more cut it out more make a feture of it, and maybe use leather thong black/dark brown whatever, i would be carefull as well as what type of wire you use if you do, that it is not going to rust and to rott out the holes over time. Oh and if you are doing the turning with wet wood and leave it to have a cuppa wrap it with clingfilm helps to stop drying so quick, sometimes woods dry so quick and crack its a joke if you did not cry. LB...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode