First Ever Lathe Experience - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View Mose's Photo Album My Photos
First Ever Lathe Experience

I'm calling this a WIN WIN with no hesitation.

The local Woodcraft had a Turning for Troops so my neighbor and I went out last night. I have never stood in front of a lathe or held a chisel, but hey, you have to start somewhere. I apologize for the poor quality photos I only had my phone with me and they all went over seas and not home with me.

I ended up turning the three pens below, had almost no idea what I was doing except for what I read on here and found online. Comments welcome please. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, I learned many things about alignment and hand fit, not to mention that using a lathe is hands down the most addicting thing I have ever done. I went to bed try to figure out how this one girl made this super cool pen, and how I was going to cut a piece of ambrosia maple to imitate it.

I don't have a lathe yet, but will be using my neighbors for a while.

The second pic is the most problamatic pen, the nib is slightly proud of the wood and the "bubble" is to is right in the wrong place for a comfortable hold IMO. Maybe a little closer or further away would have been better.

Either way some Sailors, Marines, Soldiers, or Airmen will a pretty cool pen while deployed.

First Ever Lathe Experience-pen1.jpg

First Ever Lathe Experience-pen2.jpg

First Ever Lathe Experience-pen3.jpg

First Ever Lathe Experience-pen4.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
They look great!

Those little details about bubble location and nib fitting are things that will come with experience. I find that most people who buy pens don't even notice such things... and people who receive them as gifts are too excited to have a custom made pen to care!
The Following User Says Thank You to b00kemdano For This Useful Post:
Mose (05-27-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode