finishing a larger amount of wine stoppers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
finishing a larger amount of wine stoppers

Well I didn't get any answers or opinions in the finishing section so I'll come here with it:

So I officially sealed the deal to make 100 wine stoppers... good thing I have over a year to complete them.

But I'm wondering the best way to finish this many. I don't want to do it on the lathe because I'm going to be branding them with a custom wood burning stamp. So I would then have to turn it on the lathe, remove it, brand it, and put it back on the lathe for finishing.... What I would rather do is turn a bunch, brand the lot, then finish the lot, maybe with a spray lacquer.

Does that sound like the best method?

I was thinking about going to HF and getting a spray gun as I figure I would break even buying a spray guy as opposed to several rattle cans... and then I would get a new tool out of it too...

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 PM

View jpr28056's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on the order.

Not knowing anything about brand stamps, could you not do the brand while on the lathe? Do you have a set shape for all these. Reason I ask is if you have a bunch of very narrow cuts could you get a good coat of spray in those areas? I have a hard enough time finishing the darn things on the lathe.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I don't envy you one bit. I did 85 stoppers for my sister-in-law's wedding back in Feb on short notice. I cut all the blanks at once and averaged 30 min to turn and finish each stopper on the lathe.

My finish is 2-3 coats of lacquer followed by 2-3 coats of friction polish. The friction polish put the shiny on them, but they looked nice with just the lacquer. I suppose if you're spraying them with lacquer, you could build the finish a bit more than turning it on. I might even be temped to just dip them in lacquer. I made some throw tops for a friend for Christmas, and made matching buttons for the end of the string. I played around with dipping those in lacquer since they were pretty small. They came out really shiny and had a much thicker layer on them than I get when I turn lacquer on something.

The hardest part of that job was coming up with 85 unique stoppers, though. Don't envy you a bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
I always use spray laquer on my winestoppers and I think I would lean toward your thoughts on maybe using a spray gun so you could spray several at a time.

Congrats on such a big order and remember your 1 yr deadline will be here before ya know it!

John
post #5 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
I recommend this spray gun from HF. It's only $20 so you won't feel bad about tossing it when it breaks. I've gone through about 4 of em in the past 9 years. Do a search on item number 43760

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #6 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm not gonig to have 100 unique styles, I need to at least have a flat part on the top for stamp to brand.

I might look at the dipping method as well as the spraying method.

Also, would a siphon or a gravity spray gun be the best for spraying?

Last edited by Dvoigt; 04-26-2010 at 08:26 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 AM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
I tried the HF gravity feed guns and prefer the one I mentioned above.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43760

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
You might consider dipping them in spar urethane. It is a heck of a lot more durable than laquer and it builds a nice thick coat in one dip. I use this method on duck calls all the time and have had great results. Cut it to a 60/40 ratio of spar to mineral spirits. Takes longer to dry but that's indicative of a stronger finish.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You might consider dipping them in spar urethane. It is a heck of a lot more durable than laquer and it builds a nice thick coat in one dip. I use this method on duck calls all the time and have had great results. Cut it to a 60/40 ratio of spar to mineral spirits. Takes longer to dry but that's indicative of a stronger finish.

You might consider adding a few drops of Japan Drier to speed the drying and reduce drips and/or runs.
Don’t use friction polish because it contains shellac and alcohol. This is easily attacked by the alcohol in the wine. Another approach would be to soak in teak oil finish for 24 hours than dry 24 more hours and polish on the beall system. This is how I finish my duck calls!

Last edited by Bob Willing; 05-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 PM

View Charlie Sandall's Photo Album My Photos
Min Wax wipeon poly, works great.

Charlie
post #11 of 14 Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Call Nick Cook. He turns a wine stopper in about 3 minutes finish and all. He has sold thousands. www.nickcookwoodturner.com By the way he also sells corks, cocobolo blanks and dowels for the wine stoppers. Great guy and I'm sure he will answer your questions.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
Call Nick Cook. He turns a wine stopper in about 3 minutes finish and all. He has sold thousands. www.nickcookwoodturner.com By the way he also sells corks, cocobolo blanks and dowels for the wine stoppers. Great guy and I'm sure he will answer your questions.
He must be good... it takes me longer then that just to mount and unmount the wood!

post #13 of 14 Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Derek I went to visit Nick one time and I got there about 10 AM. He had an order for 50 and was almost done when I got there.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

I sent him an email, we'll see what he says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode