Finishing help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

View love2trn's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing help

Hello to everyone here. I have only been turning for a couple of years. I am constantly trying new shapes for my bowls and am about to try the challenge of turning small boxes. My question is can anyone lend advice for finishing? I am having problems with tear-out. I believe it might be caused by too much heat when sanding. I usually don't sand above 400grit. I just recently watched a video by Ray Key and he mentioned using silicon carbide paper with a wax. Of course I didn't hear him mention what sort of wax to use with the paper to reduce the heat while sanding and possibly eliminate the tear-out. If anyone can lend some advice I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
If your having problems with tearout, that is a cutting problem. Try to slow down your feed rate of the tool, use a freshly sharpened tool, and sometimes putting a quick coat of wax on before the last pass of the tool will help also. I use Johnson's past wax. Also try to cut downhill with the grain. On turned pieces with swirly grain this isn't always possible.
If you still get tearout, and it happens to the best of us on some woods, the the trick is to start with a course enough paper. If your having to really sand an area to get rid our tearout use courser paper. Also a slow speed of the bowl or box will help. sometimes the piece warps slightly out of round and if the tearout is in a low part, sanding with the bowl at high speed will simply let the sandpaper skip over the low spot.
Heat cracks are caused by sanding at too high a speed. Sanding with wax helps the sandpaper work more efficiently but I've had problems with the sandpaper clogging I don't do this often.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Good for you, go make them boxes. Don't be put of that the lids need to be a tight fit, they fit how you want them to, depends on the type of boxe and its use, and there are so many different ways of making the lid. I love box making, when i get around to doing the pics i have a load more to put up on my site.
Also if you have not tried it and anyone eles, get yourself some cabinet scrapers they do a great job, and bowls that you are getting tear out on will reduce or eliminate ..LB

http://www.shapewood.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Good Idea LB but I do have to give a warning. Be sure and use the cabinet scraper with the lathe off. I use the quite a bit for problem areas. You can actually use them with the lathe on for the outside of things but slow the lathe way down. If you try it on the inside of a bowl with the lathe on I hope you have good insurance. Of course they don't fit well inside boxes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode