Finishing a Bubunga pen with BLO and CA
Today I had a rough time making a pen out of bubinga and finishing it with a coat of boiled linseed oil then finishing it with CA. I've never turned bubinga before (seemed like tough stuff) and while I've finished with CA before, this is the first time I've tried the BLO coat first. And just to add too many variables to the mix this is the first time I've used this particular brand of CA and I'm not sure I'm happy with it, might go back to Zap. After sanding to more than 600 I gave it a wipe of BLO then kept wiping with a paper towel until nothing came off. Then I started finishing with CA, but the glue didn't dry very well and I kept wiping it down, sanding it smooth and then starting over. I finally got it sort of OK, but not the quality I've done before and not something I'd sell (and this pen was supposed to be for sale).
So I figure that either the bubinga isn't reacting well with the CA, the CA sucks, or despite the fact that I buffed the BLO until nothing else came off on the paper towel I needed to wait longer (possibly overnight) between the BLO and the CA.
The pen is in the attached picture along with an acrylic pen I turned and finished last night. The picture is a bit out of focus near the tip where I'm the least happy with the finish.