Finishing the bottom of a bowl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing the bottom of a bowl

So I realized that the flat jaws that I have will only hold a bowl that is 5" in dia. Is there a different way to hold the front of a larger bowl so I can sand and clean up the base?

Thanks!!

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Cole jaws are a start, as well as vacuum chucks and a few other improvs.
I posted an adaptaion for my mini cole here: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/co...daptions-9218/
post #3 of 11 Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
I use a donut chuck.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
i use my vacuum chuck and a donut chuck, donut chucks works on bowls and hollow forms

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
DV,
You can also turn a piece of scrap to match the curve of the inside of the bowl. Turn a tenon to fit your chuck on the other side. Put some double-sided tape on it and carefully place your bowl with the aid of a tailcenter. The tailcenter will hold the bowl in place to allow you to take some light cuts and clean up and/or reshape your base. You will be left with a small nub supporting the tailcenter. you can then take the bowl off the lathe and use a sharp carving tool to take off the nub. A little bit of sanding and you're done.
The scrap can be a chunk of 2 x 6 for example. You are not trying to fill the whole inside of the bowl. You are just trying to support it enough to put the tailcenter to it and not have the inside of the bowl contact the chuck.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Go here to the tips pages and look up reverse turning bowls. I have put information on a whole lot of different ways to do it. You can find one that will work for you and your lathe. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/htm/tips.htm
post #7 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM
kgn

View kgn's Photo Album My Photos
John, thanks for all the reverse turning tips on your link...I have made some of these on my own, but have some new ideas now.

To Mike H.: I appreciate the fact that you show a picture of yourself wearing a face mask...I was sporadic in my use of one until visiting this site. I use it all the time now. Hope everyone else does too. My next goal is some sort of dust hood at the head stock with lots of vacuum. Kirby
post #8 of 11 Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM

View grybeard22's Photo Album My Photos
good morning to all
im kinda a newbie as i just found the forum but not new to the vortex..ive been turnin for about 10 yrs mostly as a hobby
happen to catch this post so thought i would throw in my 2 cents here also ...if u have a drill disc sanding pad with the velco on it ...throw it in a jacobs chuck on the headstock ...slide this into the center of the reversed bowl ..center it with the tailstock and this will allow u to clean up the bottom leaving just a little nub to sand off ..if u run this at low speed it works very well

just my 2 cents worth
bob
post #9 of 11 Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I use a rubber sink stopper placed over the chuck to drive my bowls when I use the method mentioned above.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Don Wattenhofer

View donwatt's Photo Album My Photos
The reverse chucking systems a more trouble than they are worth so i go with a block of wood mounted to a faceplate with the end turned to fit the bottom of the bowl. The initial start of the turning process should be between centers such that you make the mounting tenon on the tailstock end so that when you reach the point where you are finishing the base you already have a center point. After the bowl is finished except for the base dismount the bowl, mount the face plate and check the fit between the bowl bottom and the drive block.
Use some foam packing material between the bowl bottom and the drive block than bring the tailstock center up to the center point in the mounting tenon and snug it up. Turn away the tenon and form the base while leaving about a 3/4" nubbin until the base is formed then carefully cut the nubbin in a cone shapeto maybe 1/4" diameter at the base.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
You can make a donut chuck pretty easily.

I have seen one guy jam chuck it with the tail stock and then use a chisel to take off the last little bit.

I have found some links below.

Put out by our good friend John Lucas.

http://www.ptwoodturners.org/Tips%20...ng%20Bowls.pdf

Fred

www.luv2turn.com

Foot: A special device for finding furniture in the dark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode