Woodworking Talk banner

A finish for Deer Antler Pens

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  farmerjon 
#1 ·
Hi All
I got some Deer Antlers to make Pens from, and am wondering what do you use for a finish for these, or no finish?
Thanks in advance for any & all replies.
Take Care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

#3 ·
Finish for Deer Antler Pens

Hi Daren Thanks for the reply. I have some of the Shellawax finish, & will try some. I have also used Tru Oil for Gunstocks on Pens, but haeven't tried it on Antler. I will try that also.
OK, anybody else have any ideas??
Take Care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

#4 ·
I use CA adhesive. When the pen, or whatever, is just about to size, I apply a generous coat to fill the pores then turn the excess glue off. The antler can be polished using any polish you would use for wood. The CA also gives a pretty nice finish on its own.

This is also the same procedure I use for spalted wood and other soft/porous materials.

#6 ·
Antler Pen Finish

Hi darley & Tippy Thanks for your replies.
A friend of mine gave me 6 small Deer Antler Racks for Penmaking. I made him a Slim line Pen & pencil for gratitude.
I don't have any paper as fine as 15000, I go up to 1200 after the ca. They seem pretty smooth, according to my wife, on Sat I will have been taking her advise for 51 years.
Take care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

#8 ·
To tweegs

Hi Tweegs
Thanks for the 51St congrats, did I Mention that is with my first wife!
She does a lot of Crocheting, so I made her a crocdet Hook out of some Redheart. Now I have some brownie points again. Might help justify the new jet 1220 she bought for me.
Take care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.