finaly worth posting - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
1 inch and 3 little marks

View crookedcut's Photo Album My Photos
finaly worth posting

ok i finaly got sum bowls worth posting... i got some spalted pecan some of it has red spalting and some has black slpating...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0026.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	45344  

Name:	IMAG0027.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	45345  

Name:	IMAG0028.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	45346  

Name:	IMAG0029.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	45347  

hold my beer and watch this!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Great start! Looking good. One of my personal preferences for bowls is that the curve "flows", or is continuous...no flat surfaces, except the very bottom of the outside. Don't want a rocking bowl. Took me quite a few bowls before I could do that easily and consistently. You're on your way. Also, remember to take as much care finishing and detailing the bottom of your bowls as you do the rest of it. Invevitably people are going to pick them up and look at the bottom. Don't ask me why, but everyone does it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
1 inch and 3 little marks

View crookedcut's Photo Album My Photos
im trying hard... i dnt have a chuck to put them in i either have to use a faceplate or do them between centers... i need a donation chuck anyone got one????????

hold my beer and watch this!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedcut View Post
im trying hard... i dnt have a chuck to put them in i either have to use a faceplate or do them between centers... i need a donation chuck anyone got one????????
You're trying hard and it shows -- I especially like the form of the rear left one in that group.

Have you ever made a jam chuck? It's a flat piece of wood attached to a faceplate (or drilled and tapped so you can screw it directly onto the drive shaft.)

You cut a ring into the face to accommodate the rim of your bowl, and if you cut the sides of the ring at a very slight angle you can literally "jam" the bowl onto it. (You can increase the security with packing tape or a "donut ring" that fits over the bottom of your bowl.)

This lets you finish the outside foot of the bowl.

John Lucas has written a document on different ways to hold a reversed bowl on the lathe ... the first link on THIS PAGE will get the document for you.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Slightly seasoned amateur

View WeekendTurner's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to WeekendTurner
A glue block of waste wood -- even glued up plywood -- will let you use a faceplate and still leave room to develop a foot.
Start between centers and get the bottom good and flat. Use thick CA glue to attach a small block to the bottom and press in place with the tailstock. When it sets up, you can screw your faceplate into the glue block. Make it thick enough -- or use screws shallow enough -- to keep you out of the bowl wood.

I do this all the time for platters where I don't have the wood to waste on a serious foot.

You still want a jam chuck to finish the foot, as was just suggested.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
You have another day or two to get this 4 jaw chuck at a reasonable price. I wanted one and couldn't afford the single key design that cost $200 or more, so I got this one. The dual levers for tightening work but not as easy as the single key design. Anyway I'm ordering another one to keep my Jumbo jaws on so I don't have to switch back and forth.

The Jumbo jaws are reasonably priced also for this chuck.

Chuck $84.99 + Jumbo Jaws $27.29= $112.28 plus shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode