Filling holes in mesquite to turn - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Filling holes in mesquite to turn

I friend got me some mesquite that I plan to use to turn some pepper mills. It's got quite a few holes that I assume are from some kind of boring insect. I think they'll create a really interesting look after turning, but I'll need to fill them. I'm thinking of epoxy, but I'm looking for suggestions from experienced turners. So, what do you say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
I usually fill mine with thick CA as I usually finish the piece with CA as well. Epoxy will do just fine, you can add colors to it as well for interest.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 AM

View cuerodoc's Photo Album My Photos
filling mesquite

I like to use an epoxy mix-Parks comes to mind, it's the stuff you mix for a pourable clear hard finish. Since it mixes 1:1, I can make as much as i need. It mixes well with crushed minerals or powders, heck even very fine glitter works (but use a lot). The stuff sets up kinda slow so you can wait to fill in areas if you don't want much running. Down side is that it needs to set overnite. Turns well and polishes up nicely. I do use Ca glue occasionally too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Cuerodoc- could you supply a bit more info about the mix you mentioned. Maybe a website?
Thanks,
Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuerodoc View Post
I like to use an epoxy mix-Parks comes to mind, it's the stuff you mix for a pourable clear hard finish. Since it mixes 1:1, I can make as much as i need. It mixes well with crushed minerals or powders, heck even very fine glitter works (but use a lot). The stuff sets up kinda slow so you can wait to fill in areas if you don't want much running. Down side is that it needs to set overnite. Turns well and polishes up nicely. I do use Ca glue occasionally too.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
If you just want the hole filled to enable turning, then clear epoxy or CA glue should work. If you cannot get to the back/bottom of the hole to tape it I would use epoxy.

I have not tried the thick CA glue, but the medium I have runs all over unless you control where it can run.

Other replies mentioned about adding glitter if you want the fill to be decorative.

The In-Lace product line is aimed at a decorative epoxy. I have used in some projects for the accent. Not cheap, but works well.
Get the thickener if the holes are big.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...e=surdec-inlay
post #6 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM

View JC WOODTURNING's Photo Album My Photos
Use two part epoxy glue, resin and hardener, mix it with ground coffee to the color you want and let it set up enough to get thick and push it in the holes. Mix it enough to let the coffee dissolve and color the epoxy. That's if the holes are in the heart wood. If it is in the sap wood then just the epoxy should do. I use Mesquite and that's what I use. Good luck.

I forgot to say, take a scrap piece and see what color the wood will be with finish on it. That's the color you want to match unless it is in a very dark piece of the wood and just plain dark is all you want. Experiment with how you can make different colors using light sawdust or food coloring to add to the epoxy. I still stand by the use of two part epoxy resin mix for the filler glue. Give it hours to harden.

If you are waiting for your ship to come in you must ask yourself...when was it that you sent one out?

Last edited by JC WOODTURNING; 07-08-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
On the New Yankee Workshop online video this week Norm is making a bookcase out of mesquite and having to fill splits and voids with an epoxy formula. It's worth a look. http://www.newyankee.com/index.php?i...roduct=7916499
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 PM

View cuerodoc's Photo Album My Photos
Gene--
no website. It's all experience, figured there had to be a relatively easy way to fill cracks, grubholes, and voids that didn't have a fast time limit.
I do use crushed minerals too--malachite, turquoise & others. I buy the epoxy mix at Home Depot because they have the larger size bottles--it's a hassle to drive 30 miles. I use measuring spoons, small plastic cups, & wood stirrers---can't get much simpler.
Dave H
The Following User Says Thank You to cuerodoc For This Useful Post:
Gene Howe (07-09-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode